icon

4 channel amp, 6 speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sullivan91 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
so I have a kicker 4 channel amp, and I have each channel on that going to each door speaker. I have 2 kicker 3.5" 15watt speakers in the dash I would like to have the signal go through. Whats the best what about doing this?
Should I buy another amp and rca split the audio connection to the two amps and then hook up the dash speakers to the new amp? not sure the best way of doing this.
I am running a AVH-4200DVD pioneer for my headunit
and a kicker 350.4 4-chanel amp
2006 dodge ram 1500
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
You need to find a pair of crossover capacitors. 47 to 100 microfarad 100 volt non polarized devices.   You should wire the capacitor in series with the 3.5 inch speaker.
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Something like this?:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=027-352
And where should I wire the speakers into? the amp?
Sorry but I need to be a bit more specific. I just put my first two relays together the other day and used my first diode. So all of this is new to me, I am learning fast though.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
That is the correct component. You can either run the wires to the amp itself, or to the wires that run to the other front speakers. Just connect the capacitor directly to the positive terminal of the 3.5 inch speaker. Connect the positive wire to the other end of the capacitor. Connect the negative wire directly to the negative terminal of the speaker.
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is the capacitors purpose?
I was under the impression if I added more speakers to what I already have I mess up the Independence or ohms.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
The capacitor will keep the lower frequencies from getting to the smaller speakers. You really do not want the 3.5s moving as much as the 6 x 9s.
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
I already have these wired up to the 3.5" speakers:
"The Stinger SGJ95 are ideal for applications in which full range speakers are being installed without crossovers. The SGJ91 allows you to tune the frequency response range cutting all bass out from the 0-2.8 kHz range."
So I can just hook the dash speakers up to the front door speakers and I wont have any issues?
zillaguy89 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
No, as long as the amp is 2 ohm stable in stereo. You can find that in the manual for it or online somewhere I'd imagine. Wire the positive from the door speaker to the positive of the 3.5, same with the negatives. Thats wiring them in Parallel and giving a 2 ohm load instead of the 4 ohm load each speaker has on its own.
I dont recommend doing this though. Your amp is 60x4 RMS @ 4 ohms. it is 90x4 RMS @ 2 ohms. You will essentially be feeding each speaker 45 watts, which is WAY too much for the 3.5's.
You COULD also wire the speakers in series. Positive from amp to positive on door speaker. negative from door speaker to positive (with capacitor/bass blocker deal) of the 3.5. Negative of the 3.5 back to the amp negative terminal. I also don't recommend doing this either. Here's why. Wiring the 2 speakers in series makes an 8 ohm load. Not a problem aside from your amp then is only 30 watts RMS, splitting that between the speakers, giving 15 RMS per speaker. Now your 3.5's will live, but you're underpowering the door speakers. (I would assume)
If it were me, I'd either:
A: Ditch the 3.5s altogether. Thats no fun though.
B: Run the 3.5's off the head unit, and leave the 4 channel to run the other 4 speakers.
Hope this helps.
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Memphis amps and speakers, Pioneer DVD deck.
zillaguy89 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
Oh...BTW. If you need it:
http://www......com/item_21950_Kicker-ZX350.4-10ZX350.4.html
zillaguy89 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
OR, if you really wanted to spend the extra coin, work, and electrical power...you could put a splitter in the RCA's for the front before the 4 channel. Then run 1 set to the 4 channel, and you could add a small (very small for 15 watt speakers) 2 channel amp for the 3.5's, and just wire everything normally. Personally I'd save the money and effort and just run the 3.5's off the deck.
Sorry about the link thing, I forgot I cant post links here.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic