icon

DBALL2 Canbus Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cw6mt mkvigli 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hello and good day forum friends. My car has various electrical issues with the central electronics control module. They are blaming one issue on the dball2 and i have to pay out of pocket.

The dealer and tech are putting blame on the dball2 for causing the backup camera to be inoperative. They are stating that the dball2 possibly sent a bad voltage signal into the vehicle's canbus system. They claim once they uninstalled the dball2 the camera functions normally and the issue i reported is no longer present.

My thought was that the dball2 only receives input signals from the canbus system on the vehicle. Am i mistaken? Does the dball2 actually output through the canbus wires also?

I just find it hard to believe and i think they are trying to blame a perfectly functioning system just for me to pay out of pocket.

I called directed but they will only provide support to an authorized dealer and not to the end user. Any insight and expertise from the fellow members of this forum is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Yes the DB-ALL does send info to the vehicle CAN data system, e.g. lock/unlock also depends on the vehicle.
Make, model and year would help.
I would also add that I've never had a DB-ALL cause problems, we're UK based and we do about 7 installs a week, mainly BMW, Audi VW, late models and with very few problems.
cw6mt mkvigli 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
My vehicle is a 2013 VW Jetta GLi with manual trans. It has the J519 with 3 BCM modules.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, I've just seen your previous posts, tan/green, hi. Tan/brown lo.
Steering column, driver's door loom or under BCM.
By the way the vehicle giving the very few problems, yes...VW.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Usually get loads of warning lights, not ABS or airbag and a 10 mile drive usually cures them.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
cw6mt mkvigli wrote:
<snipped>

The dealer and tech are putting blame on the dball2 <snipped> possibly sent a bad voltage signal into the vehicle's canbus system. They claim once they uninstalled the dball2 the camera functions normally and the issue i reported is no longer present.

It is possible I am the Queen of England. DBALL2 Canbus Issue -- posted image. Or maybe I am not. Anyways burden of proof is on the dealer. This is where an authorized dealer needs to be involved to tell you whether the DBALL could have had a bad connection or is just faulty. A loose CAN wire may cause a data signal drop out but would not cause a voltage spike. If a can bus message is lost it or does not finish a complete train of thought the message is simply ignored. Occasionally if the same message is repeated and ignored too many times then the pcm/bcm can send out a message to all nodes to run diagnostics which may result in dash lights going crazy.
If you did this yourself you may be out of luck on the diagnostics charges.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
As a matter of interest how did you connect your DB-ALL2 wires to the vehicle CAN wires?
cw6mt mkvigli 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

The wires were connected in the same manner as decribed in the install guide for my specific firmware. Thank you all for the insight. Your time and efforts are much appreciated.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
I meant soldered T-taps etc.?
cw6mt mkvigli 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2014 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
All my connections are soldered with heat shrink tubing.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic