icon

fog lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chassis 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
What's the best way of installing fogs lights.some guys say hey connect their aftermarket fogs to their park lights,but isn't it risky to do it that way.they say they do it because they want to use the parks switch to put their fogs on.isn't it best to install a saperate switch for the fogs, aswell as a fuse and relay,then to put it on the parks where it might put more pressure on that circuit and maybe pop a fuse or burn the wire.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
I interpret their advice to mean where to tap the signal power, not the foglight power - ie, as you said, you'd use a relay & separate fuse, and the (low current) switch to disable them.   
BTW - such wiring should never burn - that's what the fuses should prevent.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2014 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,thanks old spark.I thing I have an idea how to wire it now.tap into hot wire of the parks,that point going to 85,86-chassis,30-fog lights power wire,87-12volt supply via fuse,and fogs negative to chassis.is that right?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, that's correct (tho by convention, 85 to GND & 86 to the +ve - park hot wire).
And a switch between park hot and the relay coil (ie, 86 by convention; 85 to GND) if you want to switch off the fogs - eg, when actually "parked".
That's the methods for adding any big load to whatever "source" - use a relay. Hence the existing source like park lights only has the additional relay coil current (usually less than 1/4 of an Amp) to contend with, NOT the (say) 10A of the fogs.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2014 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged  
Great,you a master.I really appreciate your help.thanks
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the thanks. But thank You for asking & checking. I can't help but think you had the answer and knowledge all along - hence I/we are trivial - but that too is the "no harm in checking" or confirming opinions aspect which I (and I think we) recommend.
I am curious if your "guys" did mean the same thing, or if they were literally saying to add to the existing circuit?    
If the latter, maybe they know your vehicle well enough to know that's no problem, mind you, that still leaves the switch which IMO is an essential requirement - else some simple way to disable the fogs when parkers only are desired.
But otherwise I'd be somewhat critical about people that give such advice. Of course maybe things there are like here - despite government rhetoric about making us "a smart country" we seem to have lost the expertise that once existed. Maybe that's due to casual employment replacing permanent employment, but I wonder if it is (also) a shift in attitudes - whether make a buck at any expense or education by the web in lieu of traditional methods.
Of course this is trivial - your issue has been solved (I hope!) - and I often find the ambiguities in our lovely English to be the root of many such issues. But I'd swear that advice given by those in industry has gone bad. Maybe it's me & age & accumulated knowledge, and there was that "not old" electrician I spoke to a few weeks back who was very much on the ball... he even understood the "correct" answers to things I used to argue with colleagues. That was so VERY refreshing!
Alas I ramble...
Best wishes for your fogs. And if your vehicle has provision for fog wiring and fuses etc...
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I think we might have legal problems here. If the SA rules/laws are anything like the UK you'll have to take that signal from the low beam headlights rather than parking/sidelights.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic