icon

tach and sensor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rbond 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
Hello , I am getting ready to install a ccs100 cruise control , and was wondering what is the advantage to using both tach and magnet with speed sensor signals versus just the tach?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
A vehicle speed signal (VSS) is preferable to tach. The main difference is what type of transmission the vehicle has. If you have a manual transmission, a specific gear and RPM will equal a specific speed. Changing gears will affect the speed at the same RPM. Using VSS is what should be used for either transmission. Tach is used to monitor engine speed for safety. If the clutch is depressed the engine will rev up and the cruise will see this and deactivate the cruise control. Tach isn't needed for an automatic transmission. Ideally, I only use VSS for either type of vehicle and install a clutch switch to disengage the cruise if the clutch pedal is depressed.
sparky
rbond 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks For the info , it is a manual transmission , so maybe I should have both hooked up.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'd use only the VSS since gear x RPM is not always equal to speed (eg, clutch in or freewheeling overdrives etc, or slipping clutches (LOL)).
That's unless the gears & RPM are used as a redundancy - ie, fall back if the VSS fails, but then IMO the cruise control should alert you.
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
as stated above tach is more of a safety device. If you have the cruise set and press the clutch in it will disengage the cruise.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'd assume that is the point of it rather - to ensure its not trying to maintain speed in a low gear or whilst upsidedown.
(Not that I know of purely tach driver cruise controls that require gearbox ratios..)
rbond 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2014 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
One other thing, I am using a pickup coil and magnets, so one wire goes to the ccs-100 speed input and the other to ground?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
That is correct for wiring the speed sensor.
sparky
rbond 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Sparky, hopefully I 'll get back at this project on the weekend ,and I will let you know how I made out.
Rick
rbond 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2014 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
How much voltage should I be measuring through the pick up coil, and it will be AC voltage , will it not?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic