the12volt.com spacer
icon

98 ram 1500 door lock issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
o90110 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2015 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote o90110
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup and I installed the viper 5701 alarm/remote start. I'm a mechanic and know my way around pretty good so the instal went fairly easy....until I started wiring the door locks. My issue is when both door lock circuits are wired in, both the lock and unlock button on the remote only locks the doors.door lock switches on truck work fine all time. I've tried wiring multiple ways using relays and every time same outcome. If only the unlock circuit is wired in the unlock works fine. If only the lock circuit is wired the lock works fine. Whith both circuits wired both lock and unlock button on remote only lock the doors every time. I'm in dier need of help and would greatly appreciate any input. Main wires I'm using coming from the driver door by kickpanel is orange with purple and pink with purple which are both power signals when button is pushed. also have a orange with black and pink with black that feeds passenger switch. Vehicle does not have oem alarm but is equipped with oem keyless entry.   PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY!!!!
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2015 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
2 relays. One for lock, one for unlock. Cut the orn/pur and pnk/pur in two.
Lock Relay:
87a = orn/pur towards the left door
30 = orn/pur towards the right door
87 = 12V fused
85 = Ground
86 = Blue 5701 (+)lock output
Unlock Relay:
87a = pnk/pur towards the left door
30 = pnk/pur towards the right door
87 = 12V fused
85 = Ground
86 = Green 5701 (+)unlock output.
Ignore the orn/blk and pnk/blk. Don't connect to, cut, or do anything with those two. Try the relays wired as above. It will work.
darrinallen 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2015 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darrinallen
@Dave
I stumbled upon this forum when I had troubles getting the door lock unlock to work as well. I am installing a viper alarm.
I have a 98 1500 ram. When I unscrew, and take off the panel under the steering wheel, it only exposes a small portion compared to video's I've seen online. Therefor I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct wire cluster.
I have prepared 2 relays as you described in you post. Can you help me identify where the orn/pur and pnk/pur wires are? Are they in these couple of plugs? or directly behind that front panel below the steering wheel?
Thanks in advance
98 ram 1500 door lock issue -- posted image.
darrinallen 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2015 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darrinallen
also,
how many amp fuse would you recommend?
Thank you
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2015 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The orn/pur and pnk/pur wires run between the drivers door switch to the passenger door switch. I would not expect them come out at the junction you have in your pic. You have to find these wires in the harness where it leaves the driver's door, and comes into the cab. Or run into the door, and pick them up at the switch itself. Sometimes I see installers put the relays inside the door, but keep in mind that interiors of doors can be a wet environment, and most relays are not sealed.
For power (fused, hot at all times) I pick up the power for the door switches. In this case red, fuse #13, 10 Amp. The red wire should be in the door wiring along side the lock wires above. I like to use the same fuse (power source) that the vehicle does.
darrinallen 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2015 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darrinallen
@Davep
Thank you for your help,
Today was project day and it took just a couple hours (moving at a slow pace)
I took your advice and easily found the wires necessary as well as went ahead and put the replays in the door. Recently I replaced the vapor barrier and am pretty confident they will stay dry.
here are some pictures of the install
I used a cable to guide from the door to the inside of the truck
pulled the green and blue wires through and started splicing into the wires needed
found a nice spot for the replays, used "window weld" to hold them in place
Finnished product. Works like a charm
Thanks again for the help. Hopefully this will help someone too.
Cheers!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2015 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Darrin, I hope to heaven the relay terminals on the finished product don't stay pointed upwards, you've broken every rule of relay installation apart from placing in the doors which is a big no-no anyway 98 ram 1500 door lock issue -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2015 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I just noticed the grounding point.......
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2015 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Back off, Howie. As usual, you're jumping in after the project is done with criticism and snarkey remarks, nothing helpful. It's his truck, and his project. He can do his install any way he chooses. If you had taken 10 seconds to figure out what you were looking at, you'd see that the relays will NOT be "pointed up" (not that it makes any difference if they are "up" or not, other than water intrusion) once the door panel is installed. Instead you post a cryptic remark.
While you or I may have chosen a different ground point, so what? He said "Works like a charm" So it's fine. Enough said.
To the OP: Glad you got it working, and are happy with the results. Glad I could help. You're welcome.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2015 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
True so apologies. I must back off.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic