icon

Remote Boot Lid Actuator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scruffy1967 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2015 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
G'day Fella's, I'm only new here so please excuse my ignorance on how to correctly explain what I wish to do or correctly identify components.
What I wish to do is to make my boot lid remote controlled to open and close whenever I press the boot release button on my key fob.The release is controlled by a +pulse which in turn is activate a relay to drive an actuator to open the boot lid, i then press the same button to close the boot lid. the actuator needs to have reverse polarity to close, the actuator has inbuilt limit switches, it should take approx 8.7sec to open or close the boot.at my disposal i have a few 8 pin DPDT latching relay's and 6 normal car relay's. I have searched high n low and tried a number of different diagrams from this great site, but alas I am admitting defeat and have to ask for some guidance.
Just Cruzin
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have some questions:
Are the limit switches internal to the actuator? Ie, the wires for them are not accessible, and don't need to be wired into the control system.
Are you OK with a ~500ma draw when the boot is open? The circuit I envision will leave 2 or 3 relays energized in the open position, but have 0ma draw when closed.    
Does your fob transmit the boot trigger continuously while you hold the button? And are you OK with having to hold the button for the 8.7 seconds to actuate the lifter?
If the above conditions = TRUE, I think I know how to do it. I'll draw it up this evening when I get home from work.
scruffy1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
hi There, thanks for the reply.
The limit switches are internal.
The draw is fine with me.
the fob is a single pulse.
Just Cruzin
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
This is crude as hell. I don't have the ability to do nice drawings. This is an adaptation of a circuit from the relay diagrams, and I added two relays to reverse and switch the polarity to the actuator.
I basically took the latched on/off momentary pulse circuit, and transposed the 12volt positive and ground to make it a latched-to ground, positive input trigger. You should proof-read it for any errors or emissions. I've been looking at it for hours, and I think it's OK, but check me, please.
Edit Add:
The Pink Output goes to Actuator wire that is (+) to CLOSE.
The Blue Output goes to Actuator wire that is (+) to OPEN.
Description:
The input is the bright green (+) trigger pulse. The upper array is the latch and on/off flip/flop. It controls the two lower relays that are ON to open, and OFF to close.
The circuit latches on, and turns on the two lower relays #87's to output to the actuator to OPEN.
Limit switches shuts off actuator.
The upper array reverses itself, for the next pulse.
There are 4 relays energized in OPEN, so there is a 500ma draw while open.
The next pulse turns the array off, and the two actuator relays turn OFF.
The lower relays #87a's output to the actuator to close, and the limit switches shut off the actuator.
Everything is OFF in the closed position. The array is set to OPEN for the next pulse. Rinse and repeat.
Sorry for the crudeness, and the complexity. I'm sure there's other ways to do what you need to do. This is what I'd do, because I can work with relays, but not much else.
Remote Boot Lid Actuator -- posted image.
scruffy1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
Cool, thanks, I'll give it a whirl when I get a chance.
Just Cruzin

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic