the12volt.com spacer
icon

Compustar Replacement Remote 2w8000FMR 5p

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
melaniev 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote melaniev
Hi there. Hoping for some help.
Recently our Compustar 2w8000fmr 5p remote has literally fallen apart.
A replacement at a retailer is $180. Looks like you can buy a whole kit on ebay for less!
Our system has a cm5000-sf brain and ANT-2wfm antenna. Is there a way for me to tell what would be compatible as a replacement remote?
Or can the brain be switched out (plug n play) with a slightly newer model?
Any help would be appreciated!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
The remote 2W4500FMR(2011-current) is the replacement model. This remote will cost you around ~120 CAD taxes in OR buy a newer generation remote kit for ~165
Personally, I would buy the RF kit, in the event your antenna goes bad. The best bang for the buck replacement would be the:
RF-2W703R-SH CN 3000ft (Canadian model)
RF-2W704SH US model 1500ft
These are remotes/antenna kits. Meaning a new 2way and 1 way remote will be in a kit.
Your cm5000 is fine, and will work with many remotes. No need to change it out.
Have you contacted Jeff @ Velocity Motorsports? He should be able to guide you in the right direction.
317 Stephen st, Morden, MB R6M 1V1
Phone:(204) 822-4000
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
melaniev 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote melaniev
Thanks so much for the reply. I was only referred to Brian Reimer Audio where I was quoted $180.
I'm going to look up the kits you mention...I could still use the cm5000-sf brain with those?
Came across a 2W9000FM-RF remote...I think this would work with my system?
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
melaniev wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply. I was only referred to Brian Reimer Audio where I was quoted $180.
I'm going to look up the kits you mention...I could still use the cm5000-sf brain with those?
Came across a 2W9000FM-RF remote...I think this would work with my system?
I updated my post, while you were writing yours. As mentioned, the CM5000 will just just fine.
The RF-2W9000FM will only work if you have the ANT-2W900FM antenna. In your case NO it will not work.
A direct replacement is the 2W4500FMR to your 2W8000FM
are you able to post the picture of the remote? Want to make sure you have the right part
Ted
Compustar Expert
melaniev 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote melaniev
Here's the pics of my remote.
Just want to clarify...so the RF-2W703R-SH is a remote and antenna kit that I can just swap out for our system?
Thanks again!!!
Compustar Replacement Remote 2w8000FMR 5p -- posted image. Compustar Replacement Remote 2w8000FMR 5p -- posted image.
tedmond 
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
melaniev wrote:
Just want to clarify...so the RF-2W703R-SH is a remote and antenna kit that I can just swap out for our system?
Thanks again!!!
That is correct. the RF2W703SH-CN is the model you want to look for. The 704SH from the states runs on a different frequency good for 1500ft.
When you get your new kit, you will have to change the antenna + program the new remotes. No need to tinker with the wiring under the dash. It's a simple 1plug remove/replace/reprogram
ask your local shop if they will match the online price + taxes.
Ted
Compustar Expert
melaniev 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote melaniev
thanks again tedmond...what happens if you use a US antenna and remote combo? Can I purchase something like this and replace antenna and remote?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compustar-2W9000FM-AS-2-Way-LCD-Remote-Auto-Car-Start-Starter-Alarm-System-2W9/41982062
tedmond 
Posted: February 24, 2015 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
Nothing wrong with using a US remote/antenna. The only difference is the operating frequency as I mentioned. The advertised range will change when using it here, usually less range.
for 199.99 USD, you're better off having Jeff @ velocity send you a new antenna/remote combo. Visions electronics can also guide you in the right direction.
I just looked over the cross-compatibility chart, and the P2W900FM will work ONLY if you have the ANT-2W-FM or ANT-2W-433 antenna. Look at the antenna in the car, it should be right on the label.
Ted
Compustar Expert
melaniev 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote melaniev
I see...one last question...if you could?!
Is the RF-2W703F-SH-CN the same as the RF2W703SH-CN? ...were you just missing the F?
Thanks so much!
tedmond 
Posted: February 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
2Way remote - IDENTICAL IN EITHER KIT
1Way remote - DIFFERENT LOOK PURELY COSMETIC
RF-2W703SH-CN Compustar Dealers only - 1WG6SH remote
Compustar Replacement Remote 2w8000FMR 5p -- posted image.
RF-2w703FSH-CN Futureshop Only - Edge 1x remote
Compustar Replacement Remote 2w8000FMR 5p -- posted image.
Hope that helps.
Ted
Compustar Expert
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic