the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5706v install 2005 Silverado ex cab

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chevelle212 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chevelle212
I've been looking everywhere and cant seem to find much help on installing this alarm/remote start system on my truck. Any help would be greatly aprritiated. It's a 2005 z71 chevy Silverado ex cab
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

This Pictorial on a sister vehicle should help  :   https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=133000

You will need a bypass module for the Passlock2 immobilizer system.  Consider using a full featured bypass module like the Fortin INT-SL+ or the XpressKit DLPKGM module.  More bang for the buck as these modules will also handle the door locks, factory alarm, Parking Lights, heated seats and provide a Tach signal & front door trigger's.

Soldering is fun!
chevelle212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chevelle212
Awesome thank you so much this really helps. What is the passlock2 immobilizer system on my vehicle?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
It is a GM designed ignition immobilizer system that prevents the engine from running if the vehicle is not started properly
with a key.  It must be bypassed during a remote start as there is no ignition key in the ignition switch at that time.  While it
is not the more common "transponder chip" based system used in most newer vehicles, it serves the same purpose.
Soldering is fun!
chevelle212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chevelle212
Oh I see. I did notice there is no transponder chip in my key so that makes sense
chevelle212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chevelle212
Ok so I found both modules online for under 50 dollars. Is one better than the other? Does it hook directly up to the viper remote start module or to the truck itself?
kreg357 
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

You can download the install guides for the bypass modules to determine which one you prefer.

Here is a link to XpressKit and the DLPKGM  : 

http://www.xpresskit.com/VehicleCompatibility.aspx?p=&year=2005&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado&ps=1&s=0&c=0

Here is a link to Fortin INT-SL+  :  http://fortin.ca/download/3966/int-sl%2B_installation_guide.rev-20120308.pdf

Both modules are very similar because they are made by Fortin.  DEI OEM's the INT-SL+ from Fortin and calls it the DLPKGM.

The install guide provides a wiring diagram and each has a few connections to the vehicle ( +12V, ground and OBD2
J1850 data ).

As for connection between the R/S and bypass module, I almost always go Wire to Wire ( W2W ).  It takes a few extra minutes,

but provides excellent reliability.   The DLPKGM can do a limited D2D with your Viper system but the INT-SL+ can't.

Soldering is fun!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
+1 For Kreg's post. Just adding more info
chevelle212, the bypass will connect to the remote start, and to the car. Think of it as a chain of command. Remote information -> bypass -> car communication protocol.
Either one will work fine for your setup. Using the DLPKGM, it will be ready to go out of the box in DBI (D2D) if you choose, or as Kreg mentioned w2w.
The fortin defaults does not work in d2d unless your remote start is capable of Fortin protocol. In other words, no it will NOT WORK out of the box, However your vendor can FLASH it for Viper D2D.
D2D was a PITA a few years back when it never worked, now they've ironed out the kinks in the ADS(idatalink), DBI(Viper, clifford), COM (compustar) protocols, so I would say go D2D.
Another options is the idatalink ADS-DL or ADS-ALCA. These require a flash for it to work. Very reliable and works a dream. This also needs to be configured for d2d a well.
To sum this in a nutshell, you can use any of the 3 brands mentioned. Xpresskit works right out of the box in data. Fortin works out of the box in w2w only, unless it's programmed for d2d options. Idatalink requires a vehicle specific firmware/changes for it to function, ADS-DL is cheaper than the ALCA.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
chevelle212 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chevelle212
Thank you so much kreg and Ted this info is super helpful. It should make the instalation go smoothly. I just bought the xpresskit xk09. On the website it said that it is an updated module and is compatible with dlpkgm. After I get it I will install it but may need more help as this is my first install. I appritiate the fast response thanks guys
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
the XK09 requires a specific flash for it to work. Make sure it is flashed with 9.DLPKGM v2.07 or it will not work
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic