the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5706v install 2005 Silverado ex cab

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2015 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
i forgot to mention manual tranny mode as well. good to know
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
chevelle212 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2015 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chevelle212
Just want to say thanks to all who helped me with this install. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun with it at the same time.Viper 5706v install 2005 Silverado ex cab - Page 4 -- posted image.
vital_idol 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2017 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vital_idol
Can someone explain a few things for me regarding this relay? I saw mention of it in a youtube video while doing my pre-install research and then found this posting as well.
Extra 30/40 Amp SPDT relay with harness
Relay Pin 85 to Viper 23 ORANGE (-) 200mA ACCESSORY OUTPUT
Relay Pin 86 and 87 to thick RED / White @ ignition switch harness through 20 Amp fuse
Relay Pin 30 to Silverado thick Brown ACC2 wire @ ignition switch harness
Plus a 1N4004 diode across Pins 85 to 86 with band towards Pin 86
I get the ping 85 and the 200mA accessory wire, the other 3 are confusing me a little. It's the other 3 wires i'm getting confused on. Where are each originating from? In the video I watched, there was no mention of a diode across pins 85 and 86, why is that necessary? i understand diode's make it like a 1 way road, but whats it needed for if each pin already has a connection?
vital_idol 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2017 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vital_idol
wow i butchered my sentence structure there. I don't see an edit button either. Repeated myself when referencing the 3 wires.
tdbaker021 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2017 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tdbaker021
vital_idol wrote:
Can someone explain a few things for me regarding this relay? I saw mention of it in a youtube video while doing my pre-install research and then found this posting as well.
Extra 30/40 Amp SPDT relay with harness
Relay Pin 86 and 87 to thick RED / White @ ignition switch harness through 20 Amp fuse
I get the ping 85 and the 200mA accessory wire, the other 3 are confusing me a little. It's the other 3 wires i'm getting confused on. Where are each originating from? In the video I watched, there was no mention of a diode across pins 85 and 86, why is that necessary? i understand diode's make it like a 1 way road, but whats it needed for if each pin already has a connection?
Connect relay pin 85 to pin 23 ORANGE (-) 200mA ACCESSORY OUTPUT which is located on White 24-pin connector of the viper 5706.
(Orange: (-) ACCESSORY OUTPUT
This (-) 200mA output wire works in conjunction with the Orange wire in the heavy gauge harness. It is
typically used to activate a relay for an additional Accessory wire in the vehicle.)
Connect pin 86 & 87 to Red or Red/White Constant 12v (Ignition Harness)
Connect Pin 30 to the Brown ACC2 wire (ignition switch harness)
I did not use a diode on my 2006 Silverado.
This is a copy and paste from this forum:
When energizing the coil of a relay, polarity of the coil does not matter unless there is a diode across the coil. If a diode is not present, you may attach positive voltage to either terminal of the coil and negative voltage to the other, otherwise you must connect positive to the side of the coil that the cathode side (side with stripe) of the diode is connected and negative to side of the coil that the anode side of the diode is connected.
Diodes are most often used across the coil to provide a path for current when the current path to the relay is interrupted (i.e. switched off, coil no longer energized). This allows the coil field to collapse without the voltage spike that would otherwise be generated. The diode protects switch or relay contacts and other circuits that may be sensitive to voltage spikes. (JimR, contributor, install bay member)
vital_idol 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2017 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vital_idol
Thank you for the response.   My plans have changed slightly. I'm now going to be using the FLCAN module instead of the DBALL2.
Not seeing many posts that cover the viper 5706v with the FLCAN in my generation Silverado.
I see on in the pictorials about an 03 Yukon using an idatalink ADS. Is that the same bypass module as the FLCAN, just under a different brand?
Will I run into the same issue of needing to add a relay?   If anyone can point me at an existing post that will help, I'd appreciate it.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2017 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Yes, the FLCAN is really an ADS AL-CA bypass module that has the DEI DBI D2D comm protocol as it's native,
as shipped, D2D format. As such it will work well with your Viper 5706 system.
In this application with the FLCAN flashed with the DL-GM1 firmware, it will handle the Passlock2 ignition
immobilized system, the Factory Alarm system ( if equipped ), the door locks and provide a Tach signal and
the front doors status all through the D2D connection.
You will still have to connect to the Parking Light, Brake and the rear door status wires.
As for the additional external relay for the trucks ACC2 circuit, that is your choice. Some trucks need
it and others don't.
The Pictorial on the 2003 Yukon should be very accurate for your needs. I believe that the rear door
trigger wires are mentioned later on in the Pictorial.
Also take heed of the Tach signal drop-out warning. Personally, I would connect the Viper directly to
the trucks White Tach wire at the back of the instrument panel. Never an issue that way.
Soldering is fun!
tdbaker021 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2017 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tdbaker021
I had to power both accessory wires on my 2006 Silverado. I think the Yukon pictorial even mentions using a relay to power the second accessory wire. I have the Excalibur 2060 with the blade al and it works perfectly wired D2D. Just follow the pictorial and don't overthink the install. It's not bad at all on those trucks.
vital_idol 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vital_idol
sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. starting to get overwhelmed and haven't even started the install.
Regarding this step:
Connect pin 86 & 87 to Red or Red/White Constant 12v (Ignition Harness)
If I'm understanding correctly, do I need to get a length of wire then for these 2 connections from the relay to splice into the ignition wires? What gauge wire would be appropriate?
vital_idol 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote vital_idol
am I filling this out as intended? or does the connection column indicate which harness its on, and description is of which wire?
Viper 5706v install 2005 Silverado ex cab - Page 4 -- posted image.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic