the12volt.com spacer
icon

hid vs led

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chassis 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2015 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
Good day
I just finished fitting a pair of h3 led fog bulps in my friends car. This led bulps shine almost the same as Hids,it makes me wonder.what is your point of view between these two?seems like leds will take over soon.
Do it once,do it right - This means no short cuts. You never get paid twice for having to do the job twice because it wasn't done right the first time.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2015 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
And that's another reason I haven't bothered with HIDs. (Legalities & Regulations is another.)
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
Yeah I think I will stay with leds.hids are quite expensive to replace.
Do it once,do it right - This means no short cuts. You never get paid twice for having to do the job twice because it wasn't done right the first time.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jmelton86
From what I've seen, unless they're designed specifically for the housings, LEDs don't work very well. More for offroad use.
HIDs are just so ridiculously bright it doesn't matter.
I put HIDs in my car shortly after buying it. Ended up getting a ticket not even three hours after installing them -before I could aim them down. They after about 2 months one bulb went out, so I said screw it and put halogens back in.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
You both seem to support the view I've had for years. Excluding the illegalities here of retrofitting HIDs, I was never keen on the expense nor ballasts associated with HIDs, let alone the mandated self leveling requirements.
And not that substitute LED bulbs IMO are an answer - they need to be entire LED headlight modules - but I decided to stick with halogens and wait for suitable & economical LED migration.
In retrospect I'm very happy...
The number of new cars I see with blown HIDs.
The beam comparisons of my 50 year old vehicle using 30+ year old halogen shells (granted, they are Cibie).
And not suffering from the peripheral blindness that I've been told is somewhat of a problem...
And reliablilty. Despite 100W H1 inner spots and many miles of fast & rough remote driving (others slow down for rough roads; I speed up), I've only replaced two and one of those was a mechanical failure (poor base to body bonding). My H4 outers whether 65/55W or 130/90W etc have faired almost as well. (I've never even been hassled for the illegally overpowered non-highbeams.)   
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2015 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
For headlights,I think I'm just going to upgrade to 55w/60w super white bulps
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2015 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Beware some of the extra bright claims. Anything involving blue is crap, and recently I was reading of misleading or fraudulent claims by some brands (eg, Sylvania) which didn't surprise me after my experience with some +40% or whatever claim (Philips?). (I replaced them with plain halogens but of higher wattage. IMO much better at a much cheaper price.)
Color temperature however is different to "brightness" or power claims, and white should be the most powerful (as in best lighting or power) available since it is the combination of all colors.   
Unfortunately I no longer recall the appropriate jargon nor mechanisms for lumination.... t'was back last millennium I designed my u+v>0.2 screens & lighting systems...
But IMO front blue vehicle lighting should still be shot as should almost any deep blue anywhere.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic