the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

remove APS prestige and use only Valet 561RS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tresvatos 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tresvatos
Good Day..Dealing with a 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 here. I am statteing up an old closed topic I had from several years back. I recently got my truck from an enegine overhaul and although the wires are routed the same way, I get no activation to the Valet 561R add on remote start It was suggested years ago that I scrap my Prestige DEI -APS Alarm
and go with an HF long range remote start with key-less entry. The alarm has the valet 561r attached to it as an add on module, which it gets it's pulse to activate. The range on the old APS is horrible , and I can never really remember needing the alarm aside from the key less entry portion. If the Valet remote start module is already wired in to my harness, how much trouble would it be aside from adding the HF Antenna to switch the key-less lock-unlock to the Valet Module and just scrap the APS Alarm CPU? Also would I need to reconfigure the starter kill when armed relays ? Thanks for the suggestions
tresvatos 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tresvatos
well upon further review it looks like I was confused. His valet System HAS to be connected to an alarm or something with an activation output to function. I do have an extra DEI 570 T remote start, but I am betting the wiring harnesses are not comp[atable, so if that s the case I imagine looking at a re-install.
tresvatos 
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tresvatos
This is how this thread winds up.. After a half a day going through chasing wires, turns out with the engine overhaul and hood removal that the hood pin safety switch was not making contact with the hood. Since no contact with hood the remote start would not function.. So there was my problem. I am still in the market for a way to extend the range on my APS early 2000's DEI Alarm though. Perhaps I can come up with something short of Alarm overhaul...
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2015 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Try re-routing the antenna away from any metal or electronic components. I installed many Prestige systems around that time and was never unhappy with the operating range. Also, consider changing the battery in the remote ;)
remove APS prestige and use only Valet 561RS -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
tresvatos 
Posted: March 06, 2015 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tresvatos
I will try that. I have an old through glass repeater cell phone antenna on the truck from back in those days. Would it be worth stripping that coax cable, and stripping the small VLF prestige antenna wire and soldering together. Would this even be worth a try to achieve some range maybe..?
tresvatos 
Posted: March 06, 2015 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tresvatos
Now something strange is going on. The remote start will start the truck, but if the alarm is activated it will not unarm so I can't get in the vehicle.. Then the third channel that gives the remote start the negative pulse to activate/ de activate ( cut engine off ) will not function. So I'm stuck outside of a cranked truck with alarm on and doors locked . The alarm will not disarm with the remote start engine on either....off trying had never happened.. I wonder if something to do with the valet switches..

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic