the12volt.com spacer
icon

Integrate aftermarket push-button with Viper Smart Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rogwilco 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
So I'm looking at installing the Viper Smart Start system in my 2010 RDX. I noticed Viper doesn't offer a push-button start option and was curious how easily I could integrate one. Has anyone had any experience doing this? My hope was that I could somehow leverage the PKE part of the system to also control whether the push button start would work (rather than having a separate RFID fob that was used independently).
Am I just asking too much, or is there potentially some way I could accomplish this?
rogwilco 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
Oops, not sure if my title was truncated or if I actually forgot that last "t" but most of you probably figured out what I meant.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
do you already have an aftermarket push to start kit in the vehicle ? and want to add a remote start?
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
rogwilco 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
No, nothing currently in the car. Ideally I would like to add both.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html
these are reliable.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Either Compustar or DEI product will work fine with the advanced keys product.
rogwilco 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
Unless I misunderstood something, the above mentioned solutions would still require an additional RFID fob for the push-button start. If possible, my goal is to eliminate the need for a fob entirely, relying only on having an authenticated smartphone for day-to-day usage.
I only mention the Viper/Directed/etc. SmartStart/SmartKey system because it gets me 85% of the way there, where the only thing missing is the push-button start component. If another system exists (or could be pieced together with a few different products), I'm open to that as well.
rogwilco 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
... can't edit yet and I forgot to thank you guys for the info so far. So... thanks! :-D
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You'll need a "proximity" key with any of the above.
Having lived with a PTS* car for the last few months plus an add on modified 5X06 Viper I just hope to have a key car without the factory proximity (RFI) next time thank you.
Personally I can't see the point of SmartStart, Drone etc. just added cost and complexity.
*UK PTS Fords, no ACC, I've had to run a latching relay off the lock/unlock wires just so I don't need ignition on to keep my Bluetooth kit working.
PS For Ted's interest current BMW, the ACC comes on with door unlock.
rogwilco 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
I presume the main benefit is the elimination of the need for any kind of key fob. At least that's the only reason I'm really interested (I'd use the bluetooth module sans subscription). Most of the other features are great party tricks, but don't strike me as very useful on a daily basis unless you run a fleet operation. I mean, sure, unlocking your car for your wife in NY while you're in SF is great, but that's a pretty unlikely edge case hardly worth a subscription fee plus what? $500+ installed?
Honestly I just want to be able to walk up to my car and drive away with only my phone in my pocket. The simplicity of that is jus so elegant and painless (assuming it works).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic