the12volt.com spacer
icon

Adding buzzer for keyless confirmation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xmentalcasex 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xmentalcasex
I'm trying to add this buzzer like the one below for lock/unlock confirmation out of my CM7200 as the horn has become a little annoying for me. I hooked up the buzzer to the siren output, but it did not trigger the buzzer. I hooked up my meter to the siren out and it is getting about 8v when I unlock/lock, but I'm wondering if I need to hook it up to a relay to get the buzzer to work.
Any advice?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Is the buzzer polarised?
xmentalcasex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2015 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xmentalcasex
I'm not sure to be honest with you. Here is a link to it....
http://www.radioshack.com/85db-piezo-buzzer/2730060.html#.VQdjoCb8_L4
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Yep - it's polarised meaning it is polar or has polarity - ie a +ve & a -ve ... red to +ve.
Maybe swap its leads?
It should work on 8V.
xmentalcasex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xmentalcasex
So I messed around with it some more tonight and got the buzzer to actually beep, the problem is it is just not consistent. I have to hit the lock button twice and it will beep, but sometimes it will not. I though at first it might be programmed to only chirp on double lock, so I went ahead and programmed option 3-9 to chirp on Lock, Unlock, and Start. It still only chirps when I push lock twice though. I also programmed option 3-2 to 60ms thinking maybe the output was not long enough but it did not help.
Any ideas? Maybe it's time I just step up an buy a true alarm siren.
xmentalcasex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xmentalcasex
I just tested the piezo with a 9v battery and it was much louder then when I had it hooked up in the car.
I'm wondering if quite possibly the brain is not putting out enough? Were due for a cold couple of days here so I'm going to go under the dash this weekend to check my connections and check my meter right at the brain.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
The problem is the 7200 is a starter brain, and only sends power on double lock. In order to make it a true siren output, you must put the brain into the alarm state.
First make this change: 3-6-2 and 1-16-2 then you can alter
3-2- x(setting of your choice) i use 1
3-9- x(setting of your choice) i use 3
also, if you have an OP500, you can turn one of the POC to siren, and double up your siren outputs.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
xmentalcasex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xmentalcasex
I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if it works. I originally set 1-16 to 1, which I thought was just to give me the option to mute the chirps through the remote. Didn't touch 3-6, but I did have 3-2 set to 3 and 3-9 set to 1.
xmentalcasex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2015 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote xmentalcasex
So enabling the alarm features worked like a charm. Now only if the buzzer I purchased was a little louder. I'm moving to a traditional siren now.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2015 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
double up your piezo siren. the brain can supply up to 1 amp on the siren wire
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic