the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5904, ignition switch recall

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quebert 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote quebert
Tomorrow I'm suppose to take my car to the dealer to get the ignition recall fixed. The lady told me I needed to bring all the key's in so they can re-program them. Until last night I didn't even think about my alarm. I seem to remember the shop that installed my alarm needing a key. I don't want to wait to get the recall fixed it's important, but I don't want to not be able to drive my car home.
My question is what exactly needs to be done here? I'd like to fix it myself if I could.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
when you say ignition recall, I assume its a GM?
What year and make is the vehicle? Btw when they do the ignition recall, they issue you new keys. I have yet to see one that had the tumbler rekeyed.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
quebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote quebert
Sorry, it's a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline, when I said they were going to re-program my keys I was just assuming. New keys makes more sense though for sure. Which still leaves me with my initial alarm question. What will I need to have done to make my car drive-able after they replace the ignition? I definitely remember having to have a give the stereo shop a key before they installed my alarm. I don't remember if they gave it back though, so maybe it's something I can do myself like when I programmed the 2nd FOB? I'll probably call GM today and put off the servicing until someone here can clue me in on what I'll need to do alarm wise.
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pentavolvo
Odds are on a gm you got the key back which means your bypass will need to be reprogrammed after they change the key. The dealer won't do this
If they did a key in the box you need to get the key out of the box, hand it in, then take the new key and put back in box
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
There was a bypass available in 08, so most likely it was a data style bypass. These cars came with 2 master keys. If you only have one, the other might be put in a key-in-box. Either way it doesn't hurt to peek under the dash. A simple reprogram will do it.
Take a picture or post what you see.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
quebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote quebert
I bought the car used and it only came with 1 key, I had another made but I only have 1 master key. I'm not an expert on alarms, I get what you're saying about the bypass needing to be reprogrammed. But I Googled and didn't see any directions. It sounds like it could be something I could do. When I get out of work I will search under my dash for this box. I'm guessing since I only have 1 master key GM will only give me 1, I guess I'll find out.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Is an alarm or alarm plus remote start installed?
quebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote quebert
howie ll wrote:
Is an alarm or alarm plus remote start installed?
It's remote start too, forgot to mention that which probably make a difference here.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
OK, if they didn't use a data by-pass there will be a black box under/inside dash about the size of a cigarette pack. Possibly marked DEI 456. Need to change for new or re-programmed key.
If data the data unit needs to reprogrammed.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic