the12volt.com spacer
icon

relay to break ground

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
michaelmrc 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote michaelmrc
hello everyone i need some help here with a relay issue on a 2015 ford f150 pickup. we are installing a secure idle system on this vehicle (allows the key to be taken out of vehicle while running but kills vehicle if taken out of gear) and am having some issues with the setup. the f250's are easy as they have a neutral safety wire that can be tapped into but the 150 does not. so manufacturer installation chart says to use a relay off of the brake pedal to break the ground thereby killing the secure idle. problem i see with this is the brake pedal is constant power and every time the operator steps on the pedal it activates the relay. the annoying click we can deal with my concern is the amount of cycles the relay will be put through and failure issues.
the setup is as follows. brake pedal wire goes to pin 86 pin 85 to ground neutral/kill wire from secure idle goes to pin 87a (NC) and pin 30 to ground. can anyone recommend a way of making this work securely but not cycling the relay continuously. thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Connect it to the cold side of the switch. It will see ground through the brake lamps, then when you hit the brake pedal it will see the ground go away.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Secure Idle - another $3 system using a relay wired to self latch...
But as per IAAI tho I see that as connecting the relay GND to the switched brake lights.
michaelmrc 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote michaelmrc
thanks for the reply not sure i follow though you say connect the neg side of the brake pedal switch to the relay in which fashion.
michaelmrc 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote michaelmrc
i agree not the most sophisticated system by any means but it was specked by the ministry as a must have.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
No relay. Just connect the wire to the output of the brake light switch. This is how every remote start system works. It will see ground through the brake lights. When they press the brake pedal it will then see 12 volts. The ground is going to go away. No relay needed.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Thanks IAAI. I focused on the relay however now reading the OP "...manufacturer installation chart says to use a relay off of the brake pedal to break the ground thereby killing the secure idle" I see that you are correct; or should be.
Of course ytf a manufacturer (therefore) says to use a relay is beyond me tho I have had a real bad month or year for striking stupidities.   (It's not Rostra by any chance? relay to break ground -- posted image. )
michaelmrc 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2015 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote michaelmrc
Thanks everyone will give it a try today.
michaelmrc 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2015 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote michaelmrc
Tried this unfortunately the brake pedal wires that have continuity to ground do dot break the ground when you step con the pedal. The hot wire has no path to ground. Any other suggestions
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Switched side of brake wire sits on ground, only goes hot when you press on the foot brake. What hot wire are you talking about?
Supply side is constantly hot.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic