the12volt.com spacer
icon

SmartStart, BT PKE, Remote keyfob

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
00aas 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2015 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 00aas
Hi everyone,
First, thanks to everyone for all the incredibly useful info on this forum-- longtime lurker and I've learned a ton.
Briefly: I have Viper VSS3001 SmartStart system installed, and more recently, a Viper 9656V 1-way remote installed (to serve just as a backup), and now I'd like to add the VSK100 for BT-enabled passive key entry. Do I need the 8210 Directed Adapter Harness for a 4 pin IVU RF? Or does the VSS3001 use a 6 pin so I can skip buying the harness?
In less brief words: I had a VSS3001 SmartStart System installed by BB in my Saab 9-2x Aero aka Saabaru and it's been a gamechanger for me- I use it every day and makes me smile every time I'm taxi-ing in an airplane after just landing and being able to turn on the car so it's nice and warm (or cool) by the time I get there. In the past 4 months I've had no issues except for one freak day when the servers appeared to be down for a few hours, and I couldn't use my phone to unlock/disarm the car, therefore the car kept honking when I used my regular OEM keyfob to get into the car (it would honk a bunch of times for 5 cycles and then finally stop). Embarrassing but not terrible. For that reason, I had BB install a Viper 1 way remote (the 9656V) keyfob that can act as a backup to unlock/disarm the SmartStart if the servers ever go down again. I've tested that it works and I just haven't used it since , as the SmartStart app has been working every day without issue (other than that one freak day). One thing that's starting to annoy me though is having to constantly pull out my phone and click on the app then tap on Unlock when I'm approaching my car (or click lock when I'm leaving my car), and so I just came across the VSK100 which can autosense my phone's BT and unlock/lock the car at a specified distance, and I'd love to have that installed as well. From what I've read it can be quite tricky to install. When I look at the manual it appears that some control modules require the Directed 8210 adapter harness (for 4 pin IVU/RF, rather than the 6 pin)-- does anyone know whether I will need that harness as well? Or should I just purchase the VSK100?
thanks so much, look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely,
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2015 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
In theory, uses an in-out extension for your antenna, just plugs in, power and ground, pair with phone and pair with alarm (like pairing an extra remote).
00aas 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2015 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 00aas
Great, thanks H. I'll purchase the VSK100 only and will forego buying that adapter harness Directed 8210. I'll try to keep everyone posted in case anyone else is interested in doing this.
Amazing how convenient and useful SmartStart has been for me, so hopefully VSK100 will just add to that convenience rather than detract... So many online reviews have complained about overall buggyness and inconsistency of these bluetooth module add ons (and lack of Android support until the SmartStart 4.0 app is released), but I wonder if many of the issues were more pronounced with the older module (VSM50BT) rather than the new one (VSK100), and also with older versions of the SmartStart app...
I've read pretty terrible initial reviews about the VSS3001 as well and fortunately have had zero issues with it from my install (other than that one day when the servers were down for a few hrs), as I think most of the reviews were based on an older, buggier app, so I'm willing to give this a try as well.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
The new one is buggy as well.
rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rt4x4
I have the (VSM50BT) and have never been able to get it to program correctly,I was able to lock and unlock the doors but would not remote start, I had to use the keelog option,never could get it to do anything with supercode I have a Clifford 50.5x. The PKE was never consistent.I am not sure if I ever had it programmed correctly.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic