the12volt.com spacer
icon

Extending wires DEI Stinger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atillaesq 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atillaesq
I'm in the process of installing a Viper 5906V. I read that you should avoid extending the wires on the shock sensor, but I have also read where others have said to extend the wires if needed. I've searched this site and Google but have not found a definitive answer if there is one. So bottom line, will it screw up anything if I extend the wires for the shock sensor? What about if I have the glass sensor wired in also? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
extending wires is fine. i believe there are sensor inputs on the 5906 so use those.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
X 2 with Ted, I often have to extend on the 508d, often up to 18" though I don't understand why you'd have to extend a shock sensor loom, I always find either a space adjacent to the brain where I can flat surface mount it or cable tie (zip tie) it to a wiring loom.
atillaesq 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atillaesq
Cool, thanks for the quick response. The main processor is going on the floor of my truck underneath the center console. The only place to mount it would be on the floor and there are two layers of Dynamat under it. I don't think the shock sensor would be very effective there. From what I read the shock sensor should go somewhere on a loom and there is nothing near the brain, where it is going.
Thanks again for your help.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You're quite right, any cross members on the centre console? Or remove the Dynamat under the shock sensor, 1" by 2" shouldn't make any difference to the noise levels.
atillaesq 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atillaesq
I don't want to cut into the Dynamat. I think they call it Dynamat Extreme. It is messy and has sharp edges. I had to do that in another part of the truck, it was a nightmare. I'm just going to extend the wires so that the sensor reaches a stock loom in the middle of the dashboard
My truck is a 99 F150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 that I have had since new. It's in perfect condition. Over the years I have had different seats and consoles from Expeditions and Navigators in the truck. There are no cross members or anything in the console, and I want to be able to remove it when I need to. I just pulled a console out of a Navigator and I am modifying it for my needs. I Had lots of parts of the old alarm in the console and it was a pain whenever I needed to do anything in there since there are other electronics that I have installed in and around the console, switches and stuff.
They can just bury me in this truck when I die :) I have other cars, but I still love this truck.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2015 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Extending wires DEI Stinger - Last Post -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic