the12volt.com spacer
icon

mounting position and cancelation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbev 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2015 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bigbev
I have a question about subwoofer mounting position and cancelation. I have 2 REsex12d2 subs, running them off a autotek ss1900.1d at 2 ohms, I want to build 2 ported enclosures, 2 cubic feet at 33hz each with the subs facing each other about 19 inches apart, the box will be sealed off from the rear of the trunk and ported into the vehicle through the folding rear center seat, my question is do you think the subs will cancel each other out, its going into a 2009 Pontiac g8, I want save as much trunk space as possible and the g8 has a big trunk but not a very big opening so building 2 separate boxes is about my only option. any suggestions would be appreciated.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2015 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
If the subs are in a sealed trunk and the ports go into the cabin, you are mainly going to hear the ports. This might be good for some specific types of high SPL installations but it is not going to sound real good. The ports really need to be in the same area as the drivers. Secondly, as far as facing them toward each other, yes in some cases it can cause cancellations but only at the wavelength equivalent to their distance apart, so unless your trunk is 14 feet wide that won't be in the subwoofer band. Don't worry about that. But rethink your mounting plans for the port.
Support the12volt.com
bigbev 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2015 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bigbev

Ok, i guess i didnt explain it real well, the actuall ports for the subs will not be going directly into the cabin of the vehicle, the ports will exit either on the same side as the subs or towerds the rear of the trunk, sealing off the trunk and folding the seat down is only to direct the sound into the cabin better, the trunks of the g8 are so insulated that you loose a lot of sound. my biggest concern was just the possibility of the subs canceling out. hope this helps a little better.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic