the12volt.com spacer
icon

jeep WJ cargo area led wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
landonmathers 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2015 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote landonmathers
I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee
there is little light in the rear when the lift gate is open so I'm installing two led on the lift gate panel.
i'm am trying to get the LEDs to come on when the interior lights come on. this vehicle doesn't have a door pin switch its somehow internal. so far i have installed a switch and rough wired the LEDS and hooked up to 12v source they work fine. i tapped into the 12v wire coming into the cargo lamp thinking it would loose power when the doors are shut but that is not the case. it still has power when the cargo lamp is off. but i found a connector on the opposite side that the wires come into the cargo light. i hooked up my 12 input to one of the connector outputs. when i click the cargo light to turn the interior lights off, the LED lights hooked up come on. when i turn the cargo lamp back on, the LEDs i installed turn off.
would it work to use a relay to switch the polarity? Negative output to positive output.
if not could you tell me the best way to hook this up!
wiring diagram for cargo lamp
jeep WJ cargo area led wiring -- posted image.
photo of cargo lamp
connector pin-outs
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2015 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I would think POS to 1 (Pink) and NEG to 3, (Yellow/Drk green).
I'm guessing the cargo light stays on until doors are locked.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic