the12volt.com spacer
icon

is 8cb ft box too big for orion hcca 15.2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swuave_music 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote swuave_music
My understanding is that a larger box volume increases the sub's mechanical power output vs the watts it receives but it can handle less actual wattage with the higher volume box. I have designed 8cubic ft box with these dimensions(33w/36d/15h/1"MDF) that I plan on porting directly from the box(in trunk) into the cab of my 1995 Buick lesabre that I will be pushing with my hifonics brx2400d(RMS watts). My question is, is there a line where to much volume becomes harmful to a subwoofer? As in, to much air for it to try and move? Or will having to large of a volume deaden the sub's acoustic response after a certain point? Is there a chart or formula to figure out how much actual power capability you loose as the volume increases? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks.
anything worth doing is worth doing right,the first time...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Orion recommends 3 cuft for that woofer. If you want to see the effect in 8cuft, model it. And unless you Are building an SPL comp car don't port directly into the cabin with the woofer in the trunk. Port and driver need to be in the same space.
Support the12volt.com
swuave_music 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote swuave_music
Thanks for the input DYohn but that doesn't really answer any of my questions. Yes, orion does recommend a 3.5cuft box but I have honestly never seen one in a box that small, most of the boxes I see people build for them are 4.5-6 cuft, my last box was 6cuft(in a SUV tho). The hcca 15.2s are only supposed to be mounted facing upward, which in any trunk is going to waste a lot of bass and make your trunk lid rattle retardedly, hence the reason I'm porting directly into the cab to help minimize the trunk lid rattle and increase the SPL effect. I am curious as to why you say the driver and port need to be in the same area? Thanks again for the input.
anything worth doing is worth doing right,the first time...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
A port only produces sound at (and around) the tuning frequency, so if the woofer is in one space and the port in another, the space with the port will be dominated by the sound the port produces. This can be a good thing if you are building an SPL comp vehicle and can tune the enclosure to the resonance frequency of the vehicle, but if you plan to use the system as a daily driver playing music, you do not want the port to be the loudest thing in the vehicle. Placing the port in the same space as the driver produces the most balanced result. As far as mounting the driver facing up, there is no reason at all for that to be the "only way" to mount it. That is complete hogwash. You can face the driver any direction you choose to face it.
As enclosure size increases a woofer's power handling capability decreases because of less back-pressure on the suspension. You will need to model your woofer in the desired enclosure to see how much power it can safely handle before you drive it past its excursion limits.
Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic