the12volt.com spacer
icon

Backup camera issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uvdevnull 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote uvdevnull
Hi all,
When this first happened, I assumed it was a bad camera and replaced it, but now I'm on number three of different brands and models, so it's gotta be me as opposed buying three broken cameras.
I have the power cable connected to reverse lights. I tested with a multimeter that it gives 12.8 volts when reverse is geared. So the power cable seems ok. I then tested the video cable by using a different source, a VCR, starting at the back where the camera would plug in and resulting in 1.18V in the cab. So the video cable seems ok, too. Now, when I plug in the cameras into both the power and video cables, nothing happens. I get 0 volts on the video cable in the cab. I even bypassed the long video cable and tested the voltage directly on the camera's output, but keep getting 0 there. What the heck am I doing wrong? It's not making any sense right now. My original assumption was the camera device was broken and it wasn't transmitting a video signal. However, three brand new devices later, I'm starting to think it's me, not them.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Peter
uvdevnull 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2015 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote uvdevnull
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL with OEM GPS Navigation and CD changer.
txjeep 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote txjeep
Does the car come w a factory reverse camera? Or are you installing one for the first time?    Do you know if the unit tries to display a video feed on the screen when its put in reverse?
uvdevnull 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote uvdevnull
txjeep wrote:
Does the car come w a factory reverse camera? Or are you installing one for the first time?    Do you know if the unit tries to display a video feed on the screen when its put in reverse?
This particular car never had it, no. There is an OEM version available but it's fugly and ridiculously expensive. I am considering buying one just to see if that thing will freaking work. Because what if my problem is much bigger than just wiring and it's not fixable right now, you know?
txjeep 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2015 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote txjeep
The reason I ask is that some factory headunits aren't programmed to activate when put in reverse. My jeep, for example, has the exact same headunit as used in other jeeps where they have reverse cameras. Video RCA connector on the back and everything. But when in the Wrangler, they deactivated the reverse camera feature, so the only way to get it to "work" was to take it to a dealership and have them reprogram the headunit or to buy an after-market device like a Lockpick or NAV-TV (you could search for those two products and see if they make one for your vehicle).
uvdevnull 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2015 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote uvdevnull
txjeep wrote:
The reason I ask is that some factory headunits aren't programmed to activate when put in reverse. My jeep, for example, has the exact same headunit as used in other jeeps where they have reverse cameras. Video RCA connector on the back and everything. But when in the Wrangler, they deactivated the reverse camera feature, so the only way to get it to "work" was to take it to a dealership and have them reprogram the headunit or to buy an after-market device like a Lockpick or NAV-TV (you could search for those two products and see if they make one for your vehicle).
I'm all set. All done. It finally works. The reason why it took me two weeks instead of a few hours is because the OP never mentioned the fact that he was using a 6-pin connector in a 7-pin hole, skipping one pin altogether. The pictures show it, sure enough, but I didn't see that, I only followed text, which didn't mention this. So I did the rest of it two weeks ago, but that piece of the puzzle had me scratching my head for two weeks. Finally done, thanks to schwejo, who pointed this out to me and made me see the light.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic