the12volt.com spacer
icon

Strange amp behavior

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mitchness 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2015 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mitchness
2004 Ford Explorer. 450 amp alternator. 3,000 watt Volfenhag ZX-5169 powering two 12" Boss P126 DVC. Zero gauge wiring. Second amp is Boss CE404 powering 4x Infinity Kappa 6x8 for door speakers.
The door speakers never stopped working. In fact, I just tuned that amp a little with help from the head unit's EQ and they work even better now.
The subwoofer amp, the Volfenhag, is the issue (maybe). The subwoofers just stopped working. There is only one LED that is green for power and turns red when in protection. This light stays green. There is another light on the bass boost knob I ran to the steering column for placement. That light is not coming on. I ordered a new amp (same one) thinking this one went bad. I had the exact same results. I now have 3 of those amps with one being sent back. All 3 did the same thing. Somehow that light on the bass knob came back on after pulling the battery cable and putting it back. The speakers worked just fine with the new amp. I had everything turned to bare minimum settings. I turned the radio up to the desired "boom" volume, which was 30/40, and began to tune the amp settings. Once I got to a certain level, my house was shaking and all was well for about 15 seconds then it cut off again. Is the amp going into protect mode without indicating? Could the head unit be responsible for this behavior?
The REM wire controls both amps and has 12v steady when radio is on. I just replaced the ground wire since the old one was cracking.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2015 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
First of all, it is not very smart to blow and amp and then just replace it without figuring out the problem. You now have three bad amps? Tsk tsk.
What is the minimum loading that amp requires? What is the impedance rating of the woofers? How do you have them wired to the amp?
Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic