the12volt.com spacer
icon

Fried my Viper 5706v

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mechanicor 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2015 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanicor
So I have my project car which is a 89 BMW 750il I decided to put the Viper remote start system in it. I hooked the power wires, grounded the ground and neutral safety wire( mines an automatic), door locks and parking lights. Everything worked except the remote start. checked my connections seamed correct to me but no crank. Off to the internet I came across this website and found a topic about some one installing the same unit in an Acura I believe. So I rewired my the same way you told that person. Hit the remote start and Holy ----- it cranked over not enough to start but it did try. I adjusted the crank time and tried again it started. Yeah Thank you guys. tested brake switch and ignition switch all working good. started soldering wires together, connected door wire, tach wire, siren I was on a roll things were going good. tried to start again no go no anything no error no flashing lights nothing. Reset controller by unplugging and thru menu just in case. try again nothing but this time the lights flash eight times neutral wire not grounded checked wire still grounded. reset box and tried again same thing. Tore the wiring back apart. Did you know the door switch sends a negative signal when open, which I hooked up to the controller, and a positive signal when closed? I didn't. So give it to me straight Doc is it possible that positive pulse fired the negative circuit in the controller?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
No and that's normal for nearly all door switches so that hasn't fried it.
It wouldn't start because you have to discard the orange wire at H3, ACC and use IGN 2, pink/white at H3 and connect to the vehicle purple ACC wire.
wth has wiring a BMW to do with an Accord?
Join the BLACK/ white to your black grounding wire using a factory bolt.
Also is the silly switch with the black plug installed and turned on?
mechanicor 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanicor

"wth has wiring a BMW to do with an Accord?" Absolutely nothing. I can't find the article now to reference but id did share some of the same things as mine, same controller and the same simple ignition switch( Off, Acc ,Ign, Crank).  I assumed that the basic features of the ignition switch would be the same on all vehicles.

The orange wire at H3 was hooked up to purple ACC when the car started before I permanently connected the wires. I will follow your suggestion and change out the orange wire for the pink/white wire this evening.

The BLACK/ white and the black wire are both grounded to the same place as the factory wiring harness under the dash.

And yes the small switch is installed and working. 

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Err really? The 5 series has 3 X ignition circuits! (Light green) all needing separate relays to fire up.
Also program the unit for comfort close, should close windows and roof on arming.
mechanicor 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanicor
I do realize the complexity of BMW wiring especially on the 7 series with a V12. I was only trying to explain my thought process. I never said it was a good thought process.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Not to worry, we'll try and get you through this.
The lock triggers are POS (+), you'll need a plug-in 451 module to change the polarity.
mechanicor 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanicor

Okay so if you would allow I would like a do over I have a 89 750il that I'm putting a Viper 5706v remote start in

6-pin

1 Red 12v constant input-----Red battery lead to ignition switch

2 Black chassis ground--- Ground stud under dash

4 WHITE/ brown parking light isolation----light switch side of gray purple wire

5 White parking light output---- Two relays then one to car side of gray/purple and one to car side gray / YELLOW

3-Pin

1 blue 500ma unlock - output----relay then blue/brown with yellow dots

3 green 500ma - lock output--- relay then WHITE/ red with yellow dots  both in drivers kick panel

24 pin

9 gray hood pin-- not connected yet and not grounded

13 BLACK/ white neutral safety--ground stud under dash

20 brown + brake shutdown---- blue/red at brake switch

10-pin

2 RED / black 12v accessory input--- red battery lead to ignition

5 red fused 12v ignition input--- same as 2 above

6 green starter input-- key side of BLACK / YELLOW

7 violet starter output-- car side of BLACK / YELLOW

8 orange accessory output--- purple wire at switch

9 RED / white fused 12v ignition2--- same as 2 and 5

10 pink ignition input/output--- green wire at switch

right now everything so far works, door locks lights  remote start  brake switch  ignition

then hooked up

3 brown siren output( grounded other side of siren)

12 violet/white tachometer-- black wire at data port under hood

15 green - door input--- BROWN / white with dots in pillar next to drivers seat

no car wont remote start says neutral ground  lights flash 8 times

undid the last three wires tried again nothing  checked grounds and small switch still grounded/working  nothing  reset controller nothing everything works but the remote start

mechanicor 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanicor

Sorry forgot  changed out orange wire with pink/white wire   same results

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Did you program tach?
Did you program unit as auto?
Did you program for tach?
Other functions, lock and unlock?
mechanicor 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechanicor

first time programed trans mode to auto and turned engine checking off     car started 

seconded time trans mode auto engine checking to tachometer  remote start not working 8 flashes on the parking lights

third time reset controller disconnected door input and tach wire trans mode to auto engine checking mode to off  no remote start  8 flashes

"Other functions, lock and unlock?"   do they still work yes  did I change programing in menu no

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic