the12volt.com spacer
icon

Low and High Beam operating system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chassis 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
Good day.I'm checking out a friend of mine's headlight circuits.Something is confusing me here.If you put your high beams on,do both low and high have to be on at the same time,or does the low go off? My friend's low beams go off when we switch to high,is this normal or can it be the switch that is faulty?I have checked on the net but I can't find my answers anywhere.how does these circuits operate.he has a city golf use H4 bulbs.
Do it once,do it right - This means no short cuts. You never get paid twice for having to do the job twice because it wasn't done right the first time.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
It is normal for the low beams to go out when you put the high beams on.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If the lamps are in separate enclosures it is easily possible to make the low beams remain on with the high beams. If they are in the same enclosure there will be issues with heat if they both remain on. There is a diagram here to make it happen. Let me know if they are in separate enclosures.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2015 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
They are H4,one bulb for low and high,one enclosure.thanks for your reply.
Do it once,do it right - This means no short cuts. You never get paid twice for having to do the job twice because it wasn't done right the first time.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2015 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
So this means its basically only on H4 bulbs where the low beam goes off when high get switched on.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 16, 2015 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
They all go off. If you have a vehicle with separate lamps you can use a relay to make the low stay on. If same bulb, there will be issues with heat build up and cause problems.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2015 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chassis
Thanks Sir,I don't want to call you idiot lol.I really appreciate it.
enoxos 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote enoxos
depends the setup, on my motorcycle the low beam turns off, but on a my friend's bike the low beam stays on.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic