the12volt.com spacer
icon

Stranded 8G Wire; Tinned?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2015 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
I have a run of 8G stranded wire feeding power to my aux light control box in the engine compartment. I intend to cut into the wire and install a 1 IN 2 OUT splitter so I can feed a branch into the cabin. I intend to use the same 8G stranded wire. But...
The splitter employs Allen screws to attach the wires to the little terminal block, and I always wonder when I crank those down: am I getting a good connection with the strands all splayed out flat inside??
In the past I have tinned the ends so that they are un-crushable, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere recently that solder wicking into the ends of stranded wire is a no-no. Is that true? Why?
Now I should point out that I have carefully selected a splitter that is specifically for 8G wire; no one-size-fits-all here. Therefore I presume (hope) that - rather than a bushing inside a large-bore fitting -- it will in fact be the right I.D. for 8G wire. If so, I guess it will be alright, but I am still keen to hear some feedback, please & thank you.
P.S.: I do not yet have the splitter in hand - it is on its way. If you wanna look, it's a Stinger [SPD510]
P.P.S.: I also recently came across the term "potted" with regard to this same practice, but the term is unfamiliar to me. Is it just a different way of saying "tinned"? (i.e.: the act of dipping the bare end of a wire into a pot of molten solder?)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Ever thought of removing about 10mm of insulation, wrapping the end of the other wire around it, properly soldering then covering with adhesive lined heat shrink?
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2015 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
I hadn't, no. Partly because I have tried heat-shrink tape with very poor results...but also because my soldering skills are less than incredible.
But your suggestion *does* indicate that soldering stranded wire is quite acceptable (which I had always believed)
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2015 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Proper soldering, i.e. letting the solder flow freely into the joint makes a more conductive joining method, also heat shrink TUBING, not tape.
I mentioned adhesive, more expensive but better under the hood, resists damp, corrosion better.
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2015 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Forgive me if I sound naïve, but I can't figure out how there would NOT be a split in the tubing if I am introducing it onto a 'Y' junction. Of course I can slide a 2" piece along the new branch before I solder it...but I'll not be able to slide a piece onto the existing "feeder" wire; there is going to be a slit in it somewhere, isn't there? And wouldn't moisture get into the joint?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2015 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Remove the wire from the control box then slide the tube back from there.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic