the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bernzomatic soldering torch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willy1094 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2015 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote willy1094
Hello,
I have a question about my Bernzomatic soldering torch. I thought I COULD NOT solder anything until I got my torch. In fact, I plan on getting a quality electric iron now because of my new found confidence. Anyway, the solder that came with the kit (Lowes info Item #: 246066 | Model #: ST250K) worked great but I ran out. I have purchased three different rosin core solder (electrical) an NONE of them work as well as the one that came with the kit. I've purchased the thinnest I could find at harbor freight and some that was about the same size at home depot. These were all lead free. My next move it to buy some with lead in it but don't really want to buy more solder I can't use. Please, do anyone have any idea what is going on? The new solder(s) don't seem to melt/flow as well and I have to heat the wire for a very long time before it even starts to flow. Even then, it doesn't flow well at all.
Thanks for any help!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2015 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Not sure what came with your Bernzomatic torch, but I'm with Mr I.  My favorite is Kester 245 with the .031 diameter.  The 63 / 37 ratio of Tin / Lead seems the best and the 245 No Clean flux prevents the corrosion some flux can cause years down the road.  They make it in a handy 1 oz Dispense Pak if you wanted to try some before you went for a 1 pound roll.
Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2015 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Usual rant Craig and Kreg, used the link and found we're paying 50% more for lead solder, 100% more plus extra bit wear on ROHS product.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2015 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Forget the last post, the version Kreg uses is $60 via Farnell in the UK.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2015 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Just bought a 1 pound roll for $9.95 delivered.  America, what a country!    Bernzomatic soldering torch -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2015 at 3:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Now you see why labour charges in Europe are so high.
willy1094 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2015 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote willy1094
kreg357 wrote:
Not sure what came with your Bernzomatic torch...
Yeah, I'm not sure either. I attempted to find out with a web search but they don't seem to share that information. The issue may be that I've been getting lead free. I'll try one that had lead in it since the melt temp is lower. The stuff I have is something like 430 degrees.
Thanks to all that replied.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic