the12volt.com spacer
icon

connecting terminal 85/86 with 30

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s_tan 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2015 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote s_tan
Hello,
I need help with solving one puzzle :)
I have a relay (heavy duty 80A Air-Zenith relay) and I know how to wire it & all...
However, the only puzzle I have is:
Can the terminal 85 (or 86) be connected to the exact same wire (and therefore the same high current) as the terminal 30?
There will be 35A current connected to terminal 30.
I do not know if it is possible to simply "add" another wire connection - leading from 30 to 85...
Would that burn / melt the relay or damage the coil?
Or would it work normally, as (according to the Ohm's law) there is much less resistance (some 90Ohms... if I remember correctly) between terminals 85 and 86?
I would be very grateful for any help!
Thank you very much in advance!
Matt
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2015 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Yes to 86 but fused.
Don't use 85, that's the industrial code for relay coil ground side.
Some automotive relays have a built in diode, usual marked in a diagram on the case, that always uses 86 as POS (+) and 85 as NEG (-) on the coil.
s_tan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2015 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote s_tan
Thank you very, very much!
I will do just that :)
And, of course, I am using a proper fuse :)
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2015 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote hotwaterwizard
The current is not an issue unless it is too low. The coil will only draw what it draws. Most likely less than 1 amp. the load will pass threw the contacts and draw what it draws without damaging the coil if the voltage remains within the range of the coil rating. Think of it as a faucet in your house. Does the Ice maker in your refrigerator connected to the same water source as your faucet blow out when you turn on the faucet? No it just uses what it needs to fill the ice maker.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
s_tan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2015 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote s_tan
Aye, thou art correct :) When I calculated what the coil should draw (in theory) it was more or less something like 0,133A. But I wasn't sure before your replies. And yes, the voltage will always be at least 12V (the current will flow from the alternator only when the engine is working).
Thank you very, very much for all the help! Your advises are very precious to me.
P.S. I didn't know there are still refrigerators that use water vapor.... mine uses tetrafluoroethane :)
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote hotwaterwizard
I would not want Ice Cubes made from tetrafluoroethane ewwwwww
that would not make a good Rum and Coke at all.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
s_tan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2015 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote s_tan
:) ah, that is very true :)
My best regards and thank you again!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic