the12volt.com spacer
icon

Autopage alarm swap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alfredojrv 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2015 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote alfredojrv
I have a question. Both of my alarms remotes have gone bad. Instead of replacing the controllers, i find it cheaper to replace the whole alarm.
The alarm is installed in a 2004 chevy express. All i know is that it is an autopage. Does the new alarm simply plug and play into the old installation? The alarm was installed in 2004.
alfredojrv 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2015 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote alfredojrv
I forgot to mention that i have a rs 855 right now.
eighttrack 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2015 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eighttrack
im glad you asked this question because i am in the same boat. In fact, I replaced my FOB and after replacing it, the alarm system works but the integrated lock/unlock feature is no longer working.
I might be pulling it and installing a different system.
That being said, its highly likely that if you buy from the same manufacturer your wires MIGHT be the same.
Even if they arent, if you get an alarm with the same features you could almost be assured that the places the installer tapped into to make connections will work for the next install simply reuse them or remove the connections and re-tap with new ones.
My installer chose to use crimp connects and t-taps in his wisdom, not my 1st choice, and definitely not how i'd choose to represent myself as a professional but, they do work and do not have a negative effect on the system, so i might be reusing them since i dont want to hack the harness any further, if i can i'd rather remove them and solder the connections to make them look nice and pretty
In short there's a 50/50 chance you will reuse the wires, especially if you go with an alarm from the same manufacturer with the same features.
If not, the connections may still be of use IF the installer used crimp connectors since the plugs at the alarm end are proprietary, but the crimps are very generic and can be used if you cut off the alarm systems end of the plug and splice or crimp onto them. (If this makes sense to you)
I am looking forward to others input since I am basically in the same boat as you.
-8track
alfredojrv 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2015 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote alfredojrv
Alrighty well, sent an email to autopage here is what i got back:
"Unfortunately there are no current models that will swap right in without having to rewire a few of the connections due to a change made in the design of the harnesses. However the closest model we offer to the RS-855 will be the RS-730 as the features and functions are similar."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic