the12volt.com spacer
icon

Difference in quality of amp install kits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eighttrack 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2015 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eighttrack
Hey guys, I was wondering everyones opinions on the differences in quality among amp install kits.
The reason I am curious, per se, about the difference in quality between a Memphis Audio kit versus a Rockford Fosgate (same wattage and amperage) for example, and also a nice install kit like a memphis versus a walmart $30 install kit, is because I am considering actually piecing my own kit together from 0 gauge wire from like home depot or something.
Just curious if quality is a big difference among install kits, i am under the impression that since cabling is cabling you might be paying a premium for the branding/labels, but if thats not the case I do implore any opinions or insight on the matter, due to the fact that if that is the case I'd like to assemble a kit of cabling that is of high quality just no particular (audio) brand from Home depot or other such store to install the stuff myself, while maintaining a high quality setup, and hopefully saving a few $$
-8track
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2015 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Phreak480
Beware kits that seem like too good a deal. I've seen plenty of wiring kits that have nowhere near the wire size they claim, just oversized insulation.
knockturnalk 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2015 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote knockturnalk
Home depot wire is for home. not flexible, oxygen pockets in wire. Look at demos of amp wiring on youtube of current flow. As a professional installer I can tell you cheaping out on your wire will cheap out your entire install. AWG kits are what you are looking for
sonicxtasy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2015 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sonicxtasy
Take it from someone who is always looking for the cheapest deal (still with quality), you will almost always get a complete "kit" for less than piecing it out.
As said above, check the size of the wire underneath the insulation. I purchased a cheap 4 gauge kit for $15 (for a 240 watt amp so top quality was not needed) and after stripping the outer insulation the actual copper was about the same size as standard 6 gauge.
As for Home Depot, their wire prices are usually high, especially compared to what you can purchase online.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic