the12volt.com spacer
icon

noob, 2001 S-10, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shoveopoly1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2015 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shoveopoly1
Hi all. I'm a noob and need some advice. In my wife's misguided attempt to get me to love my latest truck (2001 crew cab S10), she got me a remote starter set up. It is an Avitol 4003l with a DBALL2 module, and also xkloader programmer interface. I have installed many radios and amps, but never a remote starter. In looking around the web, I found two harnesses that claim to be plug and play, THGM610 and OBDTHDGM1. Do i need one of these harnesses? If not needed, would it make it easier to install with one? I work in a transmission shop as rebuilder, and have fixed many wiring issues with cars, but still considering taking it to someone and have them install it.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2015 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
I don't believe either of those harnesses will be of use to you. The compatibility looks to go back only as far as 2006 year model, and the S-10 is not listed.
If you plan on doing the install yourself plan on a long weekend.
Listing from Bulldog Security for wiring guide:
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
Need to use a Digital Multi Meter (DMM)to test your wires for their function,(12 Volts Constant, Ignition 1, Ignition 2, Starter, Accessory, Brake, ect.)
Also, go to youtube for videos on remote start installs. Might give you the insight if you want to tackle the job or not.
You didn't mention if your truck was an Automatic or Manual trans? Power door locks?
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
shoveopoly1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2015 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shoveopoly1
Sorry, seems I left out some info. Auto trans and power locks. Reason for Avitol 4003L is compatibility with factory key fob. Install doesn't look overly complicated until RX and TX hook up on DBALL2 module. I will bring home my Fluke, soldering iron, shrink tubing, and wire stripper. Think I will give it a try. Worst case is to pay someone double what it would normally cost to get it to work.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic