the12volt.com spacer
icon

System setup wiring and fine tuning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hjt77 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2015 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote hjt77
Vehicle: 90 acura integra 2dr hb
Head unit: kenwood excelon kdc-x494
Speakers:
- Front & Rear - 2 pairs of infinity reference 6032cf 60 watt rms 6.5in coaxials
- Subwoofer: polk mm1040 svc 10in subwoofer 350watt rms in sealed enclosure
Amplifiers:
- Xtant-4180c 4x45rms @4ohms
(initially meant for f/r mids n highs)
- Jensen-a222hx 100x2rms @4ohms (currently running this amp bridged to power the polk 10
Jensen amp, sub,
I was going to do the mounting, wiring, and adjustment of settings on the xtant myself then i started reading the install and user manuals. And now im considering having a shop do the wiring and fine tuning of the xtant and complete system as the xtant seems complicated. To me.
Wanted to also know if it was wise to run the 4 6.5's and the sub just off the xtant running the 4 6.5's on the front ch essentially bridged before the amp and running the sub off the rear ch bridged in mono if possible.
What other configurations could i run.
Im an audiophile (?) i guess i like it clear crisp accurate and balanced sound while being loud as hell too
Concern if i run the coax's in parallel to the amp ie only able to adjust balance no fade
Will the 90 watt output be harmful to them since the coax's rms rating is only 60 watts rms
Some helpful insight or smack me and call me an idiot and recommend a better configuration for me
Thanks
knudsen 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2015 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote knudsen
Hiya 77,
I don't know that amp, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Speakers hate square waves, which is what happens with a severely over driven amp. Those speaker will really hate it if the square waves are from an over powered amp. So, how the lower wattage speakers will hold up to the higher wattage amp will depend on how judicious you are with the volume control. I say that because you like to play loud. I do too System setup wiring and fine tuning -- posted image.
Like I said, I don't really know anything about that amp, but unless it has modules that require additional wiring, it looks like wiring any other amp to me. RCA inputs are just plug in, of course, speakers are easy and that leaves power, ground and remote, that you connect to remote on the head. Maybe I am missing something with this particular amp. Rule of thumb, if you are not confident, there's a good reason. Either study up or hire it out, as you mentioned.
Why not just use the Xtant to power the 6-1/2" speakers in normal mode stereo and the Jenson for the sub? Skip the bridging and that amp should be pretty well suited for the 6-1/2's. You are going to want the fader feature if you want to hear the back channels. Use the HPF in the head or amp set to about the same as LPF for the sub, and you'll get more sound out of the 6-1/2's, because you won't be amplifying sound those speakers can't effectively reproduce, and those frequencies won't be heating the voice coil. You may find a dead spot between the sub and the main speakers. If that's the case, you can either add another amp channel and a pair of woofs or replace the rear 6-1/2's with woofers. Something that goes well into midrange would be good, then crossover to taste.
Good luck with the adventure!
Build a man a fire, he keeps warm for a day. Set a man on fire he stays warm for life!
knudsen 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote knudsen
Forgot to mention, on wire size: https://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp
I personally like nice, fat speaker wire, but not all are sold on that idea, and it's certainly not a requirement. If you go with the minimum suggestion for your stuff in the above link, it should be fine.
I usually go a minimum of 14 AWG on speakers that matter, but I ran out and have some wiring to do now. I have a full spool of 16 AWG, and they only need to go two feet... so guess what I'm using :D
Build a man a fire, he keeps warm for a day. Set a man on fire he stays warm for life!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic