the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5806V Remote Start Installation Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
heartbreaker 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2015 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote heartbreaker
Hello,
I recently purchased a Viper 5806V and I am trying to install it in my 2003 Seat Toledo 1.9 tdi sport. (For those who are not familiar with Seat, basically it is very similar to a 2003 VW Jetta diesel).
I uploaded my list of connections in the below Excel document
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1336
(Page 31 in the downloads list, file named "Seat Toledo Viper 5806 Wiring List")
I programmed the vehicle such that:
Transmission mode is manual.
Engine check mode is Tachometer.
and everything else as the factory default.
But when I enable the MTS mode and press the remote start button, the car doesn't start.
What am I doing wrong?
I also have pictures of the Door Lock, Main Harness and Remote Start connections, if that is needed.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Viper 5806V
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
That didn't work so three questions.
1) Have you installed a by-pass for the factory immobiliser?
2) Some VW diesels have 2 starter wires the second is a very thin with the same colours as the main also at red plug behind ignition switch.
3) Have you successfully programmed tach?
Could you list your connections here please.
Just to satisfy me, reprogram to automatic, with gear shift in neutral and parking brake on, let me know what happens.
heartbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2015 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote heartbreaker
howie ll wrote:
That didn't work so three questions.
1) Have you installed a by-pass for the factory immobiliser?
2) Some VW diesels have 2 starter wires the second is a very thin with the same colours as the main also at red plug behind ignition switch.
3) Have you successfully programmed tach?
Could you list your connections here please.
Just to satisfy me, reprogram to automatic, with gear shift in neutral and parking brake on, let me know what happens.
1) No. Instead, I leave a spare key in the car, so the factory immobilizer will not interrupt the remote start process. Could you please enlighten me on what the procedure is to bypass the immobilizer? Do I need to purchase something? Or install something?
2) I will check this with my electrician and get back to you
3) I have not programmed the tach, because I am not using virtual tach. That is, my "Engine Checking Mode" (Menu 3, item 2) is set to Tachometer, which is option 4. (Rather than the 'virtual tach', which is option 1, the factory default option)
In the installation guide, it mentions that manual transmission vehicles cannot use virtual tach and that it is not recommended for diesels.
Below is my wiring list (what I have entered in the Excel)
Connection     Color     Polarity     Location:
Door Lock     Blue   Lock Doors
Door Lock     Green   Unlock Doors
Main Harness     Red +     12V input
Main Harness     Black -     Ground
Main Harness     Brown +     Siren
Main Harness     WHITE/ Brown Parking Light
Main Harness     White   Parking Light
Main Harness     Orange -     EMPTY
Remote Start     Pink +     Ignition Input
Remote Start     Pink/White     +     Ignition Input
Remote Start     Red +     Fused 12V Ignition Input
Remote Start     Green +     Ignition Wire, Close to the Key Side
Remote Start     Violet +     Ignition Wire, Close to the Car Side
Remote Start     RED / Black     +     EMPTY
Remote Start     Pink/Black     +     EMPTY
Remote Start     Orange +     EMPTY
Remote Start     RED / White     +     EMPTY
The part that I got confused with is the "starter kill". I do not know what a starter kill is. There is a starter wire that goes to the ignition. So I connected the green wire from the alarm to that wire, as close to the key side as possible.
And I connected the violet wire to that wire, to the opposite end.
What am I missing here?
Viper 5806V
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Frankly you've got just about everything wrong. If you're actually in Florida take it to a pro and tell him it's an 03 Golf/Jetta.
You'll need a DEI 556U and a spare working wired Euro style see manual.
H1 Red also joined to red on 556U to fusebox ring terminals underneath marked 30
H1 Black joined to black on 556U to grounding point brown wires adjacent to holder for factory comfort control.
H1 White, (NOT WHITE/ brown, not used) set internal fuse as POS (+) split via 2 X 1N5404 diodes join to BLACK/ white and BLACK/ green at comfort box. Cut and don't rejoin to comfort box.
H2 Green to light blue/white comfort box
H2 Blue to brown black at comfort box*.
H2 Grey to BROWN / white at comfort box*
* You'll need 1N4004 blocking diodes see DEI 1076 on this site (Downloads/Manuals)
The comfort box is to the side of the steering column.
H2 BLACK/ white to switch at base of parking brake.
H2 Brown to switched side of brake switch it's either RED / black or BLACK/ red.
H2 Dark blue to blue on 556U.
H2 Violet/white tach**.
H3 Red, RED / white and RED / black to ring terminal 30 under fusebox.
H3 Pink to black ign. switch loom.
H3 Pink//white to ign 2 BLACK/ red or BLACK/ orange ign. switch loom
H3 Orange to thin red ACC at ign. switch loom.
H3 Violet cut starter wire join to starter side
H3 Green other side of cut starter wire (ign. switch side).
Locks. Green to yellow/blue. Blue to GREEN/ red in horizontal loom behind switch panel driver's door.
Program unit for comfort close.
** The only way you'll get tach on this vehicle is with a DB-ALL to your vehicle CAN wires, ORANGE / brown low, ORANGE / green high. either at OBD ll socket or door loom. One other option, engine management but you'll need a circuit diagram.
On these diesel vehicles, to be honest I've programmed them as autos and used virtual tach.
Still think you can do this yourself?
heartbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote heartbreaker
howie ll wrote:
Frankly you've got just about everything wrong. If you're actually in Florida take it to a pro and tell him it's an 03 Golf/Jetta.
You'll need a DEI 556U and a spare working wired Euro style see manual.
H1 Red also joined to red on 556U to fusebox ring terminals underneath marked 30
H1 Black joined to black on 556U to grounding point brown wires adjacent to holder for factory comfort control.
H1 White, (NOT WHITE/ brown, not used) set internal fuse as POS (+) split via 2 X 1N5404 diodes join to BLACK/ white and BLACK/ green at comfort box. Cut and don't rejoin to comfort box.
H2 Green to light blue/white comfort box
H2 Blue to brown black at comfort box*.
H2 Grey to BROWN / white at comfort box*
* You'll need 1N4004 blocking diodes see DEI 1076 on this site (Downloads/Manuals)
The comfort box is to the side of the steering column.
H2 BLACK/ white to switch at base of parking brake.
H2 Brown to switched side of brake switch it's either RED / black or BLACK/ red.
H2 Dark blue to blue on 556U.
H2 Violet/white tach**.
H3 Red, RED / white and RED / black to ring terminal 30 under fusebox.
H3 Pink to black ign. switch loom.
H3 Pink//white to ign 2 BLACK/ red or BLACK/ orange ign. switch loom
H3 Orange to thin red ACC at ign. switch loom.
H3 Violet cut starter wire join to starter side
H3 Green other side of cut starter wire (ign. switch side).
Locks. Green to yellow/blue. Blue to GREEN/ red in horizontal loom behind switch panel driver's door.
Program unit for comfort close.
** The only way you'll get tach on this vehicle is with a DB-ALL to your vehicle CAN wires, ORANGE / brown low, ORANGE / green high. either at OBD ll socket or door loom. One other option, engine management but you'll need a circuit diagram.
On these diesel vehicles, to be honest I've programmed them as autos and used virtual tach.
Still think you can do this yourself?
Hello howie,
I will investigate all your comments down to the very detail and let you know how it goes.
Meanwhile, I just wanted to explain why I tried the above wiring setup.
Below is a link to an image from the quick installation manual that came with the alarm:
https://imageshack.com/a/img661/9937/reHGeT.jpg
The installation guide stated to wire like this, so that is why I tried that.
As of now, I am just trying to get the "remote start" to work as a first step. That is the reason why I have not yet connected to the comfort module.
I am in Turkey now, and the car is in Turkey, where there is no pro to install this. So I cannot go to a dealer that has done this before.
My electrician is a talented guy, but he needs my input.
Before I investigate further and let you know how it goes, could you please kindly shed light on the "starter kill". Is this a cable that comes with the car out of the factory to prevent unauthorized jump start of the vehicle, or is it a cable that comes with the alarm?
Thank you so much for your help.
Viper 5806V
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2015 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Built in relay in the alarm, the outputs are green and purple disables the starter whilst the alarm is on, also prevents the starter motor getting stuck (anti-grind).
The nearest "pros" will either be in Israel or Romania.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2015 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Something I missed earlier which you also got the wrong way round.
Virtual tach doesn't need programming: if you set the option as tach you DO have to learn it.
heartbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote heartbreaker
howie ll wrote:
Something I missed earlier which you also got the wrong way round.
Virtual tach doesn't need programming: if you set the option as tach you DO have to learn it.
Okay, so here is the latest situation:
1)     I have checked the starter wires and there is no second starter wire.
2)     I have tried resetting the tach, “learning” it, and then enabling MTS mode and trying to remote start with 4 combinations:
a.     Manual, virtual tach
b.     Manual, tachometer
c.     Automatic, virtual tach
d.     Automatic, tachometer
3)     In all of the above 4 combinations, the error message that I get is a flash of 7 times: Timer mode / turbo mode / manual mode error.
4)     When I enable the MTS mode, I do get the approval from the system, indicating that MTS mode is enabled with a flash of 5 times.
So, at this point, I believe that my problem is not with programming of the unit, but with the connections. The questions that are stuck in my mind are as follows:
5)     The foot brake cable gets triggered with a positive signal, whereas the handbrake cable gets triggered with a negative electrical signal. Could this have to do with anything?
6)     I have not connected any of the “accessories related” cables, such as H1 white connecting to the comfort box. I want to get “remote start” to work before I start dealing with any of that. That also includes getting a DB-ALL. I have not used the DB-ALL yet. Would that prevent the “remote start” from working?
7)     On H3, I have 1 cables that is not connected and empty as of now: Pink/black on the Viper side. Is it normal for that cable not to be connected to anything?
8)     Above, it says “H3 Pink to black ign. switch loom”. That means H3 pink cable to be connected to the ignition switch loom’s black cable, right? Or, is that “H3 Pink/black to ignition switch loom”, meaning Pink/black cable on the Viper side to be connected to any color cable on the ignition switch loom?
9)     The way I determined which cable is the tachometer cable that tells the ECU the engine rpm is, I connected a control bulb to all cables going in that direction and tried one by one. In one of the cables, the voltage was not constant, but was varying. And the bulb’s light got stronger as I pressed the gas pedal. That cable goes to the fuel injector. Could I be mistaken here? May the engine rev cable be some other cable?
10)      Is there any way you could tell me what purpose the following 3 cables on the car side serve? (i.e. black cable in the ign. switch loom, BLACK/ red in the ign. switch loom (mine was not BLACK/ orange, but BLACK/ red), thin red in the ign. switch loom)
Just to make sure the problem is not somewhere else, tomorrow I will double check all the connections and verify that everything is as per your instructions.
Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it.
Viper 5806V
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2015 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
5) Needs to see a NEG at the handbrake to start, POS BLACK/ red (?) at the brake switch shuts it down.
6) You MUST connect red and black at H1
7) Pink/black NOT USED.
8) Pink to black on ignition switch loom.
9) Even though it shows injectors, since this is a diesel it wont work. (EXPERIENCE)
10) Black is ignition 1 (main) BLACK/ red is either ignition 2, heater, windows should dump its voltage on cranking the engine, TEST, thin red is ACC.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic