the12volt.com spacer
icon

Looking for some blown subs.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2015 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote memfus_boi
Hey everyone, I have been doing some research about repairing subs after they are blown. I think I'm ready to see if I can repair a few subs. Does anyone have some old subs that's blown they want to give away?
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!
knudsen 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote knudsen
hi mb, i noticed mcm has $6 shipping this week. their audio select mcm brand sound pretty good for the money. not sure if they have their branded in subs, but a few woofs might be good to learn on. rubber surround/poly cone. light frames, but adequate for the size. probably 2 days to get to TN. i got 10 in next day last time they had $6 ship, under $100, all 8 or 10". only tried the 8's so far, but am amazed at the sound for the price. for a couple, you might beat just shipping blown subs, and you can remove the vc and put it back maybe and save on parts.
or check parts express close outs.
or ask a local installer if they will hold a few.
must be something wrong with me. never blew out a sub, so i dont have one to send.
Build a man a fire, he keeps warm for a day. Set a man on fire he stays warm for life!
memfus_boi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2015 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote memfus_boi
Thanks knudsen, are you familiar with repairing blown sub's?
knudsen 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote knudsen
I wish I were. All I've done is re-foam woofs. I am curious though, how do you get at the voice coil on a typical driver? I guess pull the cone, the spider, then you can access it?
For years I refoamed some Marantz speakers I have. They have 4 x 10" woofs, 2 per cabinet. I had no money back then, or experiance, or internet information and used panty hose and Elmers rubber cement, believe it or not. Those would last for 3 or 4 years each repair. The first one I did, I stretched it out and tied a knot to hold it, coated the hose with a thick coat of glue, and it sounded really dead. So, I took the second one and got the sexy garment just barely stretched, did the same and it sounded great. I did these four or five times that way, then had money, so I bought new speakers and sent those to the garage for quieter playing. I think I'll get a proper kit and refoam those and replace the tweeters. They sure sounded great off the 65 watt/ch low distortion amplifier. I dug out the old amp too, it's worth a few bucks. It had an intermittent crackle in one channel, and now I have all the test equipment I need to troubleshoot it and the service manual with schematics. Fun times ahead!
Build a man a fire, he keeps warm for a day. Set a man on fire he stays warm for life!
memfus_boi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2015 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote memfus_boi
Yes, basically all speakers are made the same. Voice coils are attached to the cone as well as the spider. Watch YouTube and see how refining sub's are done.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic