the12volt.com spacer
icon

2005 Dodge Stratus Actuator wiring Front Driver

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lnxprof 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2015 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lnxprof
I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus 4-door, X engine, which is exhibiting the problem where all electronic locks function except the front driver's. Replacing the door lock actuator did not fix the issue, and so now I'm looking to trace the voltage behavior from the latch back to the BCM.
I could really use some advice if I'm going about this the wrong way, or if others have insight into what the crux of the issue might most likely be.
Feeding the actuator is a 4-wire harness with Black, Tan, Blue+White, and Orange+Black. Putting a volt meter on the wires shows that the tan wire is 12v on latch open.
If anyone has the correct voltage readings for the Blue+White and Orange+Black wires on lock/unlock positions, I'd appreciate it if you would share. I'm getting readings that aren't in line with what I read off of the corresponding Pink/Lght Blue, Pink/Black counterparts on the front passenger door actuator's wiring harness.
To recap - I'd greatly appreciate
*) anyone pointing out a better diagnostic strategy or something that I'm overlooking
*) or affirmation that this is the right process to detect the cause.
*) a definitive reading that I should be getting from the front driver's side actuator harness on door lock/unlock switch positions.
ADVthanksANCE
lnxprof 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2015 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lnxprof
I should have also mentioned that the behavior that the car exhibits is that of a dead actuator. There is no audible "click" from the actuator in any lock switch position. Holding the actuator in-hand while connected to the wiring harness also produces no sense of internal movement on lock/unlock. Which is why I am pursuing it as an electrical issue.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2015 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
How about a continuity check from either the kick panel or BCM to the actuator, I'm guessing a broken wire in the feed where it leaves the car body and enters the door.
lnxprof 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lnxprof
I have the Stratus back in the garage this weekend and I'll be following the electrical back from the actuator to see where things are going wrong.
What I observe presently is that both the Blue+White and Orange+Black wires are showing +12v on unlock and ground on lock with closed latch. My understanding is that one should be showing +12 on lock/Gnd on unlock and the other Gnd on lock/+12 on unlock (like the passenger side is reading).
For now, the door rubberized cover is off, the steering column lower panel is off, and I have a clear path identified for the wiring from the BCM to the actuator.   Will update.
lnxprof 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lnxprof
Solved!
In the rubber boot between the door and the frame, the orange+black wire had been worn to the point where it had cracked+separated. Two other wires in the collection were on the verge of breaking in the same manner.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Now say thanks for telling you where to look😎
lnxprof 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lnxprof
Absolutely. Thanks!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
If you get one window, lock, speaker fail, always look to the loom going from body to that door first.
Glad to help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic