the12volt.com spacer
icon

Low Frequency Sound Quality Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stardust729 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2015 at 4:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stardust729
I had a '96 Honda Civic Sedan which mechanically wasn't in the greatest shape so ended up buying a '97 Honda Civic Sedan and decided to transfer my aftermarket Kenwood Headunit and 4 x factory speakers from the '96 Civic Sedan into the '97 Sedan just because it had sounded much better than the aftermarket JVC headunit and 4 x aftermarket pioneer speakers that the '97 civic had in it when i bought it. However now that the headunit and speakers have been transferred from the '96 car into the '97 car it doesn't have the same deep rich bass as before more like harder sounding bass as apposed to the nice & deep humming/rumbling bass.
FYI the polarity is all correct.
I tried to diagnose one aspect of this issue which was to check if the '97 Civic wasn't able to produce the same low frequency acoustics by running new speaker wires directly from the headunit "LR & RR" rear speaker wires to the rear speakers to TEST and see if the factory rear speaker wiring was an issue but unfortunately the bass still sounded poor. I then tried to connect the TEST speaker wires running from the headunit "LR & RR" rear speaker wires in the '96 car straight to the rear speakers of the '97 car and it sounded great! Keep in mind that I've heard the same music play from both headunits (the JVC and the Kenwood) in the '96 car and the sound was great however when both of those headunits are in the '97 car the bass doesn't seem to have that low down frequency richness to it, and yes i'd made sure the equalizer settings, bass boost and other enhancements were set at the same level during all testing.
So if the speakers & speaker wires are fine, the polarity is fine, what should i do now to diagnose this further? Low Frequency Sound Quality Issue - Last Post -- posted image.
Thanks in advance Low Frequency Sound Quality Issue - Last Post -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Play only 1 rear speaker, then balance to the other rear speaker. Do they have bass when they are playing alone? With the balance in the middle, does the bass go away?
stardust729 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2015 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stardust729
I tuned the Fader fully to the Rear speakers and switched between Left speaker to Middle then to the Right speaker.
There is bass when sound comes out of the Left & Right speakers individually. When set to Middle the bass sounds its loudest, polarity checks out to be fine.
This is a weird issue i don't understand why bass would sound different in the same model car using the same headunit, HU settings, and speakers when it all was transferred from Car A to Car B its so bizarre Low Frequency Sound Quality Issue - Last Post -- posted image.
Could this be to do with anything related to any of the non-speaker wires from the back of the headunit connected to the car?
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote icearrow6
When you moved the radio from the 96 to the 97. Did you also changed the radio harness?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2015 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Fade it to the front and do the same thing. If same results there, balance it to the left and then fade front to rear. More bass when faded to center? Then balance it to right and fade front to rear. More bass when in center?
stardust729 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2015 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stardust729
Just gave it a try and it sounds the "bassiest" at center when on full left and on full right
@icearrow6 - The previous owner had only cut the factory wires and wired them to the HU wires. He also had an Amp powering a Subwoofer and the wiring that goes with it (positive wire running from the amp to the Car Battery including fuse and the amplifier on/off wire from the HU) which i have removed as i don't want a sub/amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2015 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Why would it sound different? Because every car is different. Expecting nothing to change when a system is moved from one vehicle to another is expecting too much.
Support the12volt.com
stardust729 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2015 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stardust729
Unfortunate for me but fair enough.
Appreciate all your suggestions and time, till next time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic