the12volt.com spacer
icon

dismantling python 750 from 95 Wrangler

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mightykc 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
Hello everyone!
Just registered here. I'm looking for someone that can talk me thru why I can't get my Jeep to start when I have so much of the alarm removed. Trouble shooting electronics isn't my strongest field but I can work to figure out the details. I took a bunch of pictures so it might be the best make about 6 posts and then you all can see exactly where I'm at.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Look to the starter wire coming from the ignition, see if it has been cut then rejoin the wires, test and make good.
mightykc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
Hey howie, thank you!
I'm still trying figure out how to make the pictures the right size to upload. So forgive my layman's descriptions, but there is really common relay with the alarm. It has a green and black wire coming out of it that go to yellow wires under the dash that come off the ignition switch. I figured out that I should reconnect these, and then I confirmed it talking to a local installer.
I took a multimeter (also, I know just enough about those to be dangerous) and checked to connection. I had zero volts with the key just in the ignition, 12+ when I had it turned all the way to "start" and for some weird reason around 8 volts with the key in the "run" position.
The local installer agreed that the various wires going to the horn and dome lights and doors shouldn't matter at this point.
I put my multimeter on the big wires on my starter and had 14 volts. I put it on the negative and the starter solenoid while my neighbor turned the key and got 0 volts.
I got the idea to run another wire from the yellow wires under the dashto the starter solenoid, but that wouldn't make it crank either.
That's what I know so far. I'll keep trying with the pictures. The previous owner made a rat's nest of the wiring so I am in favor of finding a quick and dirty way to get it running again
mightykc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
dismantling python 750 from 95 Wrangler -- posted image.
Ok finally. I had to use the selfie camera to make the file size small enough. Here is the directed electronics 610t relay. The black wire and the green wire are now going to the 2 ends of the yellow wire coming off of the ignition switch. The yellow wires that end in a purple wire eventually went to a blue wire under the dash. It was just tapped into the blue wire, the blue wire wasn't cut in half. The local installer suggested ignoring that for now.
mightykc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
Ok, so the two ends of the wire attach to the two ends of yellow wire coming off of the ignition switch that I tested with a multimeter. The purple wire is the other end of the purple wire from the relay. The pink wire was my attempt at hot-wiring it by going directly from the yellow wire to the starter solenoid, which did not work.
I should also mention I believe I've checked every fuse. At least every one that has an even vaguely relevant description.
mightykc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
Here's the back of brain box of the alarm. It didn't have the VRS so that shouldn't be a factor. I'm not sure what other wires could be part of the problem now
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Throw away the meter and use a test light you won't need it and that vehicle The blue and black on the relay, just rejoin where you removed it.
You don't need loads of pictures, any cut wire rejoin, any joined wire cut away.
mightykc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
The other wires currently look like this. I'd rather not deal with them today unless I have to get it running. What would be the best way to deal with these? I'd almost have to take the dash apart to fish them all the way out. Eventually I'll have to clean it up, along with wiring from other modifications
mightykc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2015 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mightykc
Waaaaiiit a minute... I've messed with this several times over the last few weeks and I just realized this other wad of wires has the same markings as the relay I think I have handled. Why do I have 2 of these? The other stuff I've read on the Internet no one has mentioned 2 of these
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2015 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
2 cut circuits same rules apply, trace back and make good.
You're making a right drama from a simple job.
1) Trace the wiring.
2) Make good i.e. rejoin any cuts.
3) Any joins, cut away the alarm wires, re-insulate.
Throw away your meter it's wasting time, use a test light.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic