the12volt.com spacer
icon

Backup camera interference

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blueoval78 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blueoval78
I have installed a Rydeen backup camera in my 2008 Ford Ranger XL regular cab short box 2.3L 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. The head unit is a JVC KW-AV64BT. I have the reverse sensing wire attached to the driver's side reverse light. I have the power of the camera attached to a relay and the relay is triggered by the driver's side reverse light. The ground is attached to the box; behind the driver's side taillight. The video cable and dedicated power run through the driver's side frame rail to the rear of the truck inside a corrugated tube. The camera has been installed for 2 years now and was working perfectly until recently, I have started getting interference in the screen. It starts with the image jumping every 2 seconds. Eventually, it gets to the point that there is green washout all over the screen. The strange part is that if I disconnect the ground, the camera still works with interference. When I re-attach the ground, the interference goes away for a day or so and then re-appears. I have tried attaching the ground to the frame of the truck with no luck. I even ran a temporary wire all the way to the negative of the battery and the interference still returned.
I am stumped!
blueoval78 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blueoval78
More troubleshooting but still no closer... I've purchased a replacement camera and hooked it up to the original wiring. No change. I've purchased a small 12 volt monitor and hooked up the rca cable to it. No change. So those 2 attempts eliminate the possibility of the camera or head unit being defective. Has anyone ever heard of an rca cable going bad? Could this be the source of my problems?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
This may or may not work, but it couldn't hurt to try: Strip back a length of wire long enough to wrap around the outer metal end of the rca cable. Connect the other end to ground. Do this on both sides of the cable. If this works, you can solder them on the ends and make it permanent.
Pioneer headunits used to (not sure if they still do) have poor audio grounds and this "bandaid" would often eliminate noise.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
ka9rqw 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2016 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ka9rqw
I have heard of RCA cables going bad, although they usually don't just fail without reason. If you've tried another monitor as well as another camera and the issue isn't resolved, you can always take a spare RCA cable and run it outside the truck for testing purposes. Obviously you won't want to drive the truck like this, but it can be a help during diagnosis.
figureitout 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2016 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote figureitout
If you've added any other accessories you may have put a hot wire near your RCA. This can be problematic with cheap RCA cables that aren't true coaxial, many aren't even that come with better cameras.
pegleg1960 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pegleg1960
Your video wire is too close to a source of EMF(electromagnetic flux). You are likely getting interference due to the video wire being too close in proximity to a power wire or other electric device. I would run a shielded cable from the monitor to the camera location, just bundle the factory camera wire and heat shrink it.
Pegleg Charlie
Builder-Charlie Cannon Subwoofer Enclosures and general troublemaker at
LMMFAO Corp.(LOL)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic