the12volt.com spacer
icon

24VDC to 12VDC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I have a customer coming in with a military truck. The vehicle has a 24VDC setup. I haven't seen or tested anything in the vehicle to check for 12VDC circuitry( like a bus that uses 12v and 24v). I'm putting in a reverse camera and two side cameras. How are people generally converting the 24VDC to 12VDC (if I need to). Are installers using a voltage regulator or is there a easier way of doing it. BTW the cameras won't work with 24VDC.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2015 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Does it have 12 volt or 8 volt batteries?
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2015 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Phreak480
What kind of truck is it? Likely it's 2 12 volt batteries.
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2015 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I'm unsure on the exact truck because I didn't talk to the customer but I believe it has (2) 12v batteries in series
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
I've used a linear voltage regulator...years ago, not the most efficient method though. A switching regulator would have much better efficiency. As a plus, the cameras probably don't draw much power. The linear regulator wouldn't generate much heat.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Chances are there are 12 volt batteries. Are the cameras to run all the time, or just with ignition? If only with ignition find a relay with a 24 volt coil and get power off the battery that is grounded to the chassis.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2015 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Most trucks over 3.5 tons in Europe run 24 volts.
This is the sort of thing they have built in.
voltage_dropper.png
Otherwise go with Mr. Idiot's plan, that's how I do C/vehicle alarms.
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2015 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
Thanks for the info everyone. Now I'll have a better idea of what's at hand when the truck comes in but I think the install Is gonna be more on the lines of howie's suggestion so I'll have to get a voltage dropper just to be safe.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2015 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I'm positive they're also available in the US, here we have all sorts of current capacities but I doubt you'll need more than the lowest.
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2015 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Phreak480
Yes there are many 24VDC to 12VDC converters available here in the states. A quick web search will yield numerous current capacities.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic