the12volt.com spacer
icon

Which crimper tool?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mascip 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mascip
I bought a cheap crimper tool with "ratchet action" ("continuous crimping at preset tension") and it doesn't work great. For 2.5mm2 cable and blue crimp connectors, the connections are very good. But for 1.5mm2 cable and red crimp connectors, the connectors often come off, so I end up having to re-crimp them with a simple manual crimper.
Are there better crimper tools out there? Is it really just a matter of "you get what you pay for"? Any recommendations for a good crimper tool?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You get what you pay for.
If you're in the UK, try Facom, think they are sold here via MAC tools, they do a nice ratchet crimper, £30-40.
Else look at what RS does.
mascip 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mascip
Facom, thanks :)
RS have this one for example, for about the same price. I'm guessing it's similar quality? http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/0533279/
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2015 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
That's OK, my one has mysteriously doubled in price!
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/5043260/
mascip 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2015 at 3:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mascip
Thank you howie II :)
Same question for a multimeter: I bought three £10 ones, and they indicate different voltages, pretty much 0.1v apart from each other, which makes a significant difference for assessing battery charge.
The Facom one costs £200 though, which is too much for my budget. I'm guessing that if I get any £50 multimeter, it will be good enough precision.
Any other reliable brand than Facom?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2015 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
More than, just use a £30 Maplin unit, more than adequate. If you're worried about 0.1 volt you'll never finish a job.
The answer to your next two questions are Weller Pyropens and Milwauki 12v compact drill and driver.
mascip 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2015 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mascip
Haha, thanks for your help :)
It's hard to know which level of tool quality you need, until you've tried and reached the limit of cheaper tools and gotten a chance to compare them with better ones.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
If this is your living, provided you don't lose them cheap tools are a waste of money.
I use Snap-On for 1/4" drive sockets and all my spanners, Tong for 3/8" because infrequently used.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic