the12volt.com spacer
icon

Autopage RS 730a, '97 Ram 2500

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobby32x 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2015 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bobby32x
I am attempting my first car alarm/starter install and I am stuck. I am a pretty good DIY, but this one has me stumped. I have seen other car starters that you need to cut the starter wire and 1 wire goes to the ignition side of the cut wire, the other goes to the starter side of the cut wire. This install vaguely asks for the 2 wires to be connected directly to 2 separate wires in the starter/ignition wire harness of my truck. Oh, by the way, I am installing this on a 1997 dodge ram 2500. My truck has 2 ignition (no third ignition).
what I have installed so far (bear with me, first time install)
h1/6pin
Red: remote start power 1: connected to 12volt constant Pink/black
Red: remote start power 2: tapped into above mentioned power 1 wire
violet: starter (+) output: connected to yellow starter wire on steering column
Pink Ignition2 (+) output: connected to BLACK/ white wire on steering column
Yellow: ignition 1 (+) output: connected to dark blue wire
brown wire: heater output: not connected
H5/5 pin harness
RED / white: parking light relay input: connected to constant 12v+
white: parking light relay output: connected to BLACK / YELLOW wire. Lights flash when arming and disarming alarm :)
black: system ground: Connected to a metal surface on dash
brown: siren +output: connected to siren in engine compartment. Chirps and functions ok
red 12v+ battery power: connected on pink/black 12v constant
H6/20pin harness
BROWN / black: ground output while running:not connected
gray/black: second starter output: not connected
pink: 2 step unlock/factory disarm/sensor bypass: not connected/or needed.
WHITE/ blue: instant start and turn off: not connected
white: dome light control: not yet connected, is it needed for starter?
BROWN / white: horn output (programmable) this is for factory horn to go off at same time as alarm horn. Not connected
BLACK/ green channel 4 programmable output: not connected
BLACK/ white: neutral safety switch. Grounded on metal surface
ORANGE / white: ground output when disarmed: not connected
WHITE/ red: tach sensor: I actually fished a wire from alarm/starter all through the hidden wire casing, all the way to the starter coil and hooked it to the BLACK/ white. I received a shock from this wire and also tested with a wire tester to prove it is connected.
blue/black: accessory 2: not connected
WHITE/ green: diesel: not connected. Gas truck
yellow:ignition 3: not connected
green:zone 3 (-) negative door pin trigger: Not connected yet
gray:channel 3 trunk:not connected
blue:zone 2:not connected
WHITE/ violet: + brake shut down: connected to WHITE/ tan on brake system harness
violet: zone 3: not connected
WHITE/ black:_negative hood pin: not connected
Orange:ground output when armed: not connected
now, you can kind of see by what I have connected that I need the bare minimum. Personally, I dont care about the alarm, as much as I do the starter portion. I like the "2way feature" for the starter since I work a long distance away from my parking spot. When I try to do the alarms tach learning sequence, the instructions say that the led light should be blinking when the truck is started manually. It does not blink. Also, when I try to start the car remotely, the alarm says "vehicle stop" and nothing happens at all.
any help with this project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2015 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Hi, Bob.  Not too much wrong with your install.  A few things to do / check...

h1/6pin

Red: remote start power 1:    connected to 12volt constant Pink/black
Red: remote start power 2:    connect to Red @ ignition switch harness
violet: starter (+) output:         connected to Blue / YELLOW starter wire on steering column
Pink Ignition2 (+) output:        connected to BLACK/ Orange wire on steering column
Yellow: ignition 1 (+) output:   connected to dark blue wire
brown wire: heater output:      connect to BLACK/ White @ ignition switch harness

Use a Digital Multi Meter to verify these wire ( set to 20V DC ).  The BLACK/ Orange wire might test as an Accessory and if the Pink

ING2 output is selectable via strapping/jumper or programming, set it as such.

For the Tach wire, set the DMM to 20V AC and check to see ~4 volts AC at the coil.  Should be either a GRAY/BLACK or BLACK/ GRAY

wire.  The voltage should rise slightly with RPM's.  I'm not a AutoPage user so I'm not sure of the exact Tach programming steps.
Other Tach sources are GRAY/L BLUE  AT POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE and located as gray/blue at large plug through firewall
on drivers side at highest point of firewall, also gray/blue at instrument cluster.

Soldering is fun!
bobby32x 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2015 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bobby32x
Thanks Kreg. I work the next few days so I wont be able to do anything until mid next week but I will let you know what I come up with. Thanks again. Bob

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic