the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running two different subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crimson229 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2015 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crimson229
I recently picked up an Image Dynamics IDMax 12. I was hoping to sell my old Sundown Audio SA 12 however the the guy backed out on the sell. I was wondering would it be ok to run these subs together or if I'm better off just running the single IDMax.
ID Max12: Dual 4ohm sub, 1000Watts RMS
Sundown SA 12: Dual 4ohm , 600 Watts RMS
AMP memphis prx1.1000: 750RMS 2ohm , 1000RMS 1ohm
Ported box
I was thinking that I could wire them to a 1ohm load giving them both 500 watts RMS. Wondering would I be under powering the SA sub to much? Or if the ID sub would sound better on its own running at 750 watts. Also the amp was configured at a shop so I'm hoping that clapping wont be an issue.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Clapping? There's nothing wrong with using different subs as long as you set them up correctly. But most people set them up incorrectly which is why car audio guys usually recommend using only one. Try it.
Support the12volt.com
varietyguy 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2015 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote varietyguy
Clipping won't be an issue based on the subs, that is dependent on the amplifier. Running different subs can cause major phasing issues. If the subs are in individual chambers this will help reduce phasing issues.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2015 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
varietyguy wrote:
Clipping won't be an issue based on the subs, that is dependent on the amplifier. Running different subs can cause major phasing issues. If the subs are in individual chambers this will help reduce phasing issues.
What do you mean by "phasing issues"?
Support the12volt.com
te5la 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2015 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote te5la
A difference in sensitivity can also result in one woofer hitting a lot harder than the other.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic