the12volt.com spacer
icon

Burnt Component in head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tdwpgtp 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tdwpgtp
Hi everyone, I have no idea if this is the appropriate place to post this questions, so if not, please feel free to delete or move the thread and maybe recommend somewhere else to ask. Anyway, a little background: I've been replacing my factory audio system with all new speakers and an external amplifier, as well as an aftermarket head unit (Alpine ida-x001). As of yesterday, I had the front 2 stock speakers still powered by the head unit, and working properly. I had mocked up and tested the new rear speakers, powered by the external amp, without incident. Today, after I tested everything mocked up again without issue, I finished permanently installing the amplifier and rear speakers. I decided to start the engine, as the interior lights had been on for a while. Upon starting the engine, smoke came pouring out of my dash. After taking apart the head unit, I noticed a burnt component (a capacitor?). I am not sure if starting the engine had anything to do with it, or if that was merely coincidental. Anyway, I am trying to figure out a few things:
First, what is the damaged component(s), and what do they do? I don't know if anyone is familiar with car stereos on here or not, and I doubt anyone is familiar with this specific unit (Alpine IDA-X001). Maybe someone has a source to find the board diagrams...
Second, does anyone have any clue what could have caused this or how to begin to find out? I am afraid to turn anything back on for fear of damaging something else. I could not find any visible shorts or exposed wires, but I will look again tomorrow.
Any help is appreciated!
Burnt Component in head unit - Last Post -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2015 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Fried capacitor likely caused by either a factory defect or improper installation. If this is new and under warranty take it back where you bought it. If not under warranty, you MAY be able to have it repaired, but more likely you just got told it's time to buy a new one (and also time to maybe get some help with your installation.)
Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic