the12volt.com spacer
icon

Side marker/Intersection lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imkw 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2015 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote imkw
1995 Acura Legend with OEM Intersection Lights
Posts I have made at another web site. They were not much help. Hoping you fine folks can help me.
Post #1
Need some help fixing an intersection light problem. Driver's side light works fine. Passenger side light will not light up. Can get it to light by bypassing control unit (relay?). So, is control unit bad? Only number on control unit is CD21. No other part number found. Control unit has 4 wires either going in or out and three wires either going in or out. How would I test the control unit? And, if unit is defective, where can I find a replacement? Anyone have specs (amps, etc.) for this unit?
Post #2
After mucking around with this relay, here's what I determined. Found a diagram showing the pinout of the OEM relay. You can find it at cb7tuner.com.
As posted in my first question there 7 wires going in/out of the relay.
According to the diagram at cb7tuner they are:
1. blu/wht (driver side intersection light)
2. blu/red (passenger side intersection light)
3. wht (constant power - use 15 amp fuse)
4. blk (ground)
5. UNUSED
6. RED / blk (power at ignition)
7. grn/blu (driver's side turn signal)
8. grn/yel (passenger side turn signal)
As I mentioned in my first post the driver's side intersection works and the passenger side does not work. All turn signals work as expected. I determined that passenger side intersection light is not receiving power. This is wire/terminal #2.
So, here's my question. Can I simply add another relay to the existing setup to get the passenger side intersection light to work properly? I could tap into the #8 wire (passenger side turn signal) to supply power to the additional relay and rewire #2 to supply power to the intersection light. The passenger side intersection light should already be grounded since there is only one ground in the harness and the driver's side intersection light works fine.
Is this a possible solution to this problem? If so, what type of relay should I use? I'm thinking SPST since I only need to control one device. Also, what would be the specs (amps etc) required? And, finally what other wires on the existing relay would I need to tap into (power?, ground?)? Would I need to ground the additional relay separately to the chassis?
Post #3
I am referring to the intersection lights (Acura refers to them as cornering lights). These lights are on the side of the bumper and when you turn on the turn signals the light on that side stays on continuous. It's designed to illuminate the side you are turning to. The intersection lights have their own relay and work in unison with the turn signals-->turning right and the right side intersection light illuminates; turning left and the left side intersection light illuminates. The intersection lights are on continuously until you turn off the turn signal.
As mentioned in a previous post it appears the right side (passenger) intersection light is not receiving power. There is only one ground on the relay so I have to assume the harness is grounded since the driver's side works fine.
So, what be the testing protocol for this situation? The plug pinouts mentioned in a previous post are for Honda-assume apply to Acura and match my limited testing done.
Post #4
In my testing I determined that wire/terminal 2 (passenger side intersection light) was not providing power. I did this by hooking up another bulb assembly to the #2 wire (removed some insulation to get to bare wire). Also, tested driver's side (wire/terminal #1) in the same manner. Results: driver's side works and passenger side does not work. So, yes something inside the relay is bad--cannot power out to #2 wire; circuit not engaging.
I really don't want to rewire the whole thing and can't find a replacement OEM relay anywhere.
What seems to me to be a simple solution would be to add a second relay to the existing relay to get power to the passenger side intersection light. My question is how to wire that relay into the existing relay. Please be specific by referring to the wiring diagram (text) in post #2. Also, what type of relay would I need to buy--5 pin, 4 pin, amps etc.
Thanks for your help.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
imkw 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2015 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote imkw
Okay, I've studied diagram #3 before. Question is how to wire up that diagram in real life. Can I buy a relay with diagrammed capacitor and resistor included (in the relay)? If not, how do I actually do it? Can you buy a capacitor with wires? Also, what is the purpose of the resistor in the diagram? And, I believe the diagram has a SPDT relay shown. Couldn't a SPST relay be used since I am only controlling one device? Does a SPDT relay offer any advantage over a SPST relay? Also, what would need to be the specs (amps, etc) of the relay? And, finally, where would I buy the parts needed?
Thanks, so much for the help. I'd like to get this working and not fry my electrical system.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic