the12volt.com spacer
icon

Speedometer correction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rjr50 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2015 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rjr50
I have a 2010 Ram 1500 and I want to install a speedometer correction module which needs to intercept the signal before it reaches the cluster. Can you tell me which wire and best location to make the connection?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2015 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Look for this color wire on the harness going into the cluster. If there is a wire of this color, use a volt meter to verify that the voltage increases with speed. You need to try the meter on AC volts and then on DC volts. If it is the right wire it will increase with speed on one of the 2 settings on the meter.
Speed Sense     DARK GREEN/ BROWN     (AC)     AT PCM MODULE UNDER HOOD ON PASSENGER SIDE     32
rjr50 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2015 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rjr50
Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out and post my findings
rjr50 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2015 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rjr50
Just looked at the wiring diagram and it shows the Dark GREEN/ Brown wire connects the transmission output speed sensor to the PCM. I had originally thought I could use the signal coming from that sensor but when I disconnected the sensor at the transmission and drove the vehicle the speedometer was still working so I assume the speedometer gets it's signal from somewhere else. Any thoughts on this?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2015 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
The speedometer/instrument cluster receives information via CAN bus. There isn't a direct wired input to the speedometer. Did you change tire sizes or differential gears? The dealer can probably reprogram the PCM, or maybe a Hypertech speedometer calibrator?
rjr50 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2015 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rjr50
Thanks Ween, that's what I've been suspecting would be the answer but the people I bought the module from insist that it should work even though they are also having trouble identifying the connection point.The module I have is the Yellow Box from Yellr.com.
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2015 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Phreak480
Ween wrote:
The speedometer/instrument cluster receives information via CAN bus. There isn't a direct wired input to the speedometer. Did you change tire sizes or differential gears? The dealer can probably reprogram the PCM, or maybe a Hypertech speedometer calibrator?
I'd just get the computer reprogrammed for the tire size. I did it on my 03. No rewiring to do, and easily reversible.
arlind86 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2015 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote arlind86
There is a speedsensor on one of the wheels.
The speed sensor in the transmission is not the sensor you're looking for.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic