the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ambiguous signal determination

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
curtis92 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2015 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote curtis92
Background: Cheap light sensor unit, hooked up to headlights for automatic illumination in darkness. Works well, sensitivity is adjustable to determine how dark it must be before switching.
Issue: At the transition point the sensor can't determine whether it should be on or off and will rapidly flash until it gets light/dark enough to switch permanently.
Is there a way I can intercept the output signal to prevent it from switching until it has output a consistent signal for say, 30 seconds?
curtis92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2015 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote curtis92
with a bit of reading it seems that my best bet is employing the use of an RC Snubber circuit. Does anyone know the calculations required to determine the size of the resistor and capacitor required?
curtis92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2015 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote curtis92
Thinking about it, a snubber wont work in the way I want it to. Can anyone provide any other suggestions? How do OEM automatic headlights determine it or will that be ecu controlled programming?
curtis92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote curtis92
Seeing as no-one is posting suggestions, I'll pop up some more of what I've found. I was close with an RC circuit, but its actually and RL that I need. The Resistance is already provided by the relay. A reasonably large inductor (0.5H) should give a minimum time period of ~10s given the specs of the relay offering a resistance of <50mΩ. Connecting the Inductor accross the terminals of the relay coil should prevent power going through the relay initially, and provide power when it is lost again. with a Time period of 10 seconds, it will take 50s for the relay to reach full voltage, potentially switching at around 30s. The only problem I face at this point is relay bounce as the current slowly rises and falls.
curtis92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote curtis92
Apologies, ignore the quoted figures, the coil resistance of the relay is 160Ω. If anything this makes it easier as I can use a much smaller inductor for the same time period; 0.05H would give a time period of 8 seconds for example. Please let me know if there is anything I have massively overlooked
curtis92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote curtis92
I am not doing well at all. Those calcs were based of RC equations. It makes it harder for myself. There must be an easier way!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic