the12volt.com spacer
icon

progressive locks, 2001 Ford Ranger, Avital 2101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2015 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.

Congratulations! Yeaaah.

Don't worry about how long it takes when you're doing your own project. Because you're doing it for the satisfaction of doing it, the challenge of trying something new, and the convenience of having the function after you're done. You'll grin every time you pop the locks, because YOU did it yourself.

Be wary of the auto-lock feature. You WILL eventually lock the keys in your truck, probably with the engine running. And the fob will be inside too. Get a hide-a-key for the doors. You will eventually need it. Or for a future project install a hidden unlock button somewhere on the outside of the truck. I need to do one of these for a friend's Porsche Cayenne because he's locked his fob in the car twice and had to take Uber back to the house for his other fob/key. The Cayenne has a sophisticated fob and key that is too bulky and sensitive to elements (not to mention expensive) to hide on the chassis. So he wants a button so he can get inside to retrieve his fob/key when he does it again. I'll attempt it, because I like the challenge.

Thanks for the synopsis regarding your installation. Glad I could help.

newshockerguy 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2015 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote newshockerguy
You are 100% right, I smile every time I unlock/lock the truck! Corny but oh well...lol
I have two minor questions as they were not addressed in the manual. With the unit's antenna wire how should that have been oriented? I put it so it was laying horizontal along the front defroster vent as straight as I could make it like this: --------------------------
Should that have been vertical or is it fine the way it is?
Last question is what IF, I wanted to later add remote start to the unit. Is that possible or do I have to order a whole new main unit or is this something that I can add to the existing unit? I ask because my remote has the little asterisk button which my wife has on her remote fob as the keyless start. I have unlock, lock, asterisk, and truck release.
If not possible that's ok honestly. I'm more than please being able to get into the truck now without fumbling with the key!
I think I am going to probably turn off the auto lock feature. My luck I will not be thinking clearly shut the door then hear the "click" and just frown knowing what just happened.
Thanks,
-Nigel
~nsg~
newshockerguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2015 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote newshockerguy
Wish I could edit previous post however. I am decided that I wanted the truck to alert me on the lock/unlock.
I just purchased this:
http://www./itm/231711853273?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It's a 75dB small buzzer. Video of what it sounds like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URCocPE2Mpg
My question is on the Avital has the wire to connect to a horn and usinga relay. Since that buzzer only uses 10mA... and the avital pushes out 200mA. Can I simply attach the wires to the + lead of the buzzer and then ground the buzzer to the chasis? Or would I need a relay for the buzzer? My brain is telling me that a relay would not be needed since it's a fraction of the draw on the unit being 10mA. But wanted to make sure.
I think the horn honk would be too much of an annoyance but this little buzzer from the youtube video sounds like my Subaru and my wife's Toyota when they lock/unlock so I'm cool with that. :-)
-Nigel
~nsg~
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
You can hook the buzzer up directly to the 2101. Horn brn to (-) on the buzzer, and (+) on the buzzer to hot at all times.
If you have adequate fob range, don't worry about antenna orientation.
You can use either the AUX (trunk pop) output, or the Aux3 output to activate a stand-alone remote start. Provided your Ranger has an automatic transmission. If it's a manual trans, there is more to the R/S install to ensure safety with a manual trans, and these R/S systems may not interface with the simple activate input. I don't have any experience with manual trans R/S installs.
I'm glad you're enjoying your system. Cool.
newshockerguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote newshockerguy
Welp I have one more question.
I hooked up the buzzer and can get it to beep only when I push the trunk button then lock/unlock.
The owners manual said see owners manual for details but the only thing I see is to temp hear the beep via the one time feature that I mentioned above.... is there a way to always have it beep/honk when I unlock and lock?
i didn't see this feature in the program menu via the manual on the valet section.
Thanks
-Nigel
~nsg~
newshockerguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote newshockerguy
Actually I have one more follow up question.
I ended up hooking the brown wire H1/12 to my horn wire. My system is default ground wire just like the avital system. But do I still need to use a relay?
The manual states that if my system is +switched horn then I should but doesn't specifically state if I should if my vehicle is default - type horn, which it is.
I don't want to burn anything up...lol
Thanks again,
-Nigel
~nsg~
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I looked at the options menu. It doesn't look like it has horn honk on lock and un lock. The 2101 is not an "alarm" so maybe this has something to do with no horn-honk. I did see the "one time horn honk" feature by pushing aux then lock/unlock. But that's not what you want.
I'm pretty sure the park lights flash with lock/unlock. If = yes, then you can hook the buzzer to the light-flash output. You will have to change some things around in the way you wired the light-flash, or the buzzer will be on anytime the tail lights are on. Not what you want.
I assume you're using the (+) light-flash polarity on the 2101, and the white light-flash wire (one with the fuse in it) is connected directly to the Ranger park lights.
If you want to try the buzzer with the light flash, let me know and I'll tell you how to modify the light-flash to do it. You'll need 2 diodes and another relay.
newshockerguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote newshockerguy
Ah darn that's what I thought...lol
Well the horn does beep if I push the aux/lock aux/unlock. Or if I hold the panic button down it sets of the horn.
I'd like to have the horn beep now with the unlock/lock but honestly that's ok, I don't want to rip into it again. I appreciate the help.
Just to confirm though I do not need to use a relay for the horn function since the avital 2101l puts out a - signal and my horn is always a negative system. I don't want to burn anything up but from the directions that would only seem to happen if I use the outputs that put out a + signal via 200mA?
IE: When I press my horn button it grounds itself and goes off. No relay when using the avital 2101 since it sends a 200mA - signal is ok and doesn't need a relay to make that do the same thing? I feel like the horn would use more than 200mA, no?
Thanks again,
-Nigel
~nsg~
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The Ranger has a horn relay, and it is (-) trigger. If you tapped the blue wire at the base of the steering column, you're OK.
The "200ma (2 tenths of an amp)" spec is the maximum current that a typical (-) output in the Avital can sink to ground without damaging the solid state components. You can use an online ohms law calculator to find the current draw if you know (measure) the relay's coil resistance. The cube relays that are widely used in automotive applications have appx an 85 ohm coil, and draw .140 ma.
I thought you were going with a buzzer. Not the vehicle's horn. Personally, I hate horn-honk for arm/disarm and again, personally, feel it's discourteous. I live in a quiet neighborhood, and the cacophony of horn honks goes on all day long. Annoying as hell. Why does the entire neighborhood have to be alerted that some jack-azz is getting into his car? My cars don't honk. I watch the light-flashes, or listen for the "clunk" of the locks.
Glad you have it working.
thenzero 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2017 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote thenzero
I know this is a really old thread, but I had to come on here and say THANK YOU! I found Nigel's review on Amazon with the wiring info while searching for more info on how to wire up the progressive unlock feature (after searching for days!) which led me here. I got mine working thanks to you guys.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic