the12volt.com spacer
icon

2012 Camry Hybrid Remote Start Advice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evanheckert 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2015 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evanheckert
Just bought a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. It has the smart keys, but not the factory remote start, which is apparently horrible anyway.
I'd like to retain full functionality of factory remotes, including keyless entry if possible.
I'm considering two options:
1) Have a second fob for 2-way remote starter, spend the least $$ possible.
2) Be able to start/stop car from iPhone.
The install will be done by my indy mechanic. He has limited experience with remote starters, but has rewired entire cars from engine swaps, etc., so I'm confident in his abilities.
What would be the most cost effective combination of things I would need to purchase for either option 1 or option 2? I've spent several hours searching the web, but trying to find two people who say the same thing is seemingly impossible!
Thanks very much for the help!
armbruster 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote armbruster
You can simply use a DBALL2 configured for RSR (remote start ready) with a Smart Start module (DSM250).. This will save you the cost of an actual Remote Start but you won't have an actual remote, your iPhone will be your remote. As long as you have good cell coverage you will be fine.
This option will cost you around $150 - $200 in parts but you will need to flash the DBALL2 and have the Smart Start module activated. Smart Start service is around $70 per year I believe but you save a lot by buying a muti year plan.
evanheckert 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2015 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evanheckert
armbruster wrote:
You can simply use a DBALL2 configured for RSR (remote start ready) with a Smart Start module (DSM250).. This will save you the cost of an actual Remote Start but you won't have an actual remote, your iPhone will be your remote. As long as you have good cell coverage you will be fine.
This option will cost you around $150 - $200 in parts but you will need to flash the DBALL2 and have the Smart Start module activated. Smart Start service is around $70 per year I believe but you save a lot by buying a muti year plan.
So this:
http://www.amazon.com/XpressKit-DBALL2-Databus-Bypass-Module/dp/B00H2PHSY2/
And this:
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-DSM250-Smart-Start/dp/B004XT6GR0/
What's the consensus around here on the value and reliability of the SmartStart system? Reviews aren't all that great there.
Also would I need this to program it?
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-Inc-XKLOADER2-XpressKit/dp/B001XTZBHO/
I appreciate the suggestion/information!
Also curious what you'd recommend if I were to skip the smart start, and just look for a simple/reliable 2-way remote start on the cheap?
Thank you!!
armbruster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2015 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote armbruster
You will need the XK Loader to flash the DBALL2 with the appropriate firmware. If you buy from the right seller they will flash it for you.
As far as the S Start, I install them all the time and as long as you have good cell coverage it works just fine - use it myself. The key is to buy at least the DSM250 or better, don't buy the entry model. They make a Verizon version now I believe, the older models use the ATT network which isn't great in some places.
If no S Start then you can buy the RF kit to plug into the DBALL2 as well. The problem with this is by the time you buy the XL202 + remote it's cheaper to just buy the whole RS system.
Just depends how you want to control it.
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-XL202-Data-Interface/dp/B002WH6RH4
evanheckert 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2015 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evanheckert
Okay, so I'll probably do the SmartStart thing then.
So I only need to buy these three things in terms of Hardware, correct?
Directed Electronics DSM300 Smart GPS with Verizon CDMA/3G Technology ($117)
XpressKit DBALL2 Databus All Combo Bypass Module ($41)
Directed Electronics Inc XKLOADER2 XpressKit ($27)
Total: $185 + install + subscription service
evanheckert 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2015 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evanheckert
I don't see an edit button. Anyway, on the Smart Start website, it says that you can register your account after receiving information from an authorized installer. So if I install it myself, will I have any trouble activating service?
armbruster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote armbruster
I created an account and activate them no problems. Yes that is the equipment you will need.
evanheckert 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evanheckert
armbruster wrote:
I created an account and activate them no problems. Yes that is the equipment you will need.
Okay, just ordered everything! Thanks for all your help! So for a first time installer of the above combination of hardware in a 2012 Camry Hybrid, what resources would you recommend to guide us through it to make sure we don't screw anything up?
I'm assuming the current smart key functionality will continue to work as it does?
evanheckert 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2015 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evanheckert
armbruster wrote:
So we got everything hooked up and working except for one thing - the starting of the engine.
The locks, trunk, lights all work, and it turns it on as if the 'key' is in the 'on' position, but the big battery doesn't turn on, and of course the engine never comes on either.
Wondering if we need to install a hood pin? Not sure what else at this point would prevent the engine from actually starting? It's nice that the heated seats will turn on, but of course since the engine won't run, it drains the battery pretty quick, which is risky in winter.
Any suggestions?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic