the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring up led work lights to switch AND flasher?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beachbum561fla 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beachbum561fla
i have another relay question for you that is a little more advance. it is similar to what i just asked except what i am trying to do involves a 27 mode adjustable led flasher.
i have another set of the auxiliary lights that i am going to wire up to a toggle switch from IGN power on my truck to be as additional fog lights on the front of the truck.
however i have this:
http://www.able2products.com/update/11_1005sf27_v1.htm
http://www.able2products.com/pdfs/11_1005sf-27_instructions.pdf
that i would also like to hook up to these as well. i do electrical work at night sometimes and need flashing lights besides my hazard lights so no one hits our work truck(s).
this led flasher has 5 wires.
black - ground input
red - 12v power source input
white - 12v momentary input (tap to a 12v source to change mode, [i would wire this to a small momentary switch])
yellow - 12v OUTPUT to positive lead on A light
blue - 12v OUTPUT to positive lead on B light
the lights themselves would be chassis grounded.
please let me know how i would go about wiring these up
beachbum561fla 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beachbum561fla
what i meant to say is that i want to be able to control the lights to turn them on so they are on solid and then be able to turn on the led flasher.
do i need a relay or would just a 3way switch work?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
A 3 position, 3 pole switch would work. Up position would be flasher mode, down position fog lights, center off.
Relays could be used, but would add to the complexity of the wiring. Since the lights are LED, not high current draw, a switch would work just fine. 3PDT, On/Off/On, 5 Amp contacts minimum.
The switch will have nine terminals. The center row of terminals are the commons. The outer rows of terminals are the switched terminals, the handle of the switch will point opposite to the connected contacts.
Orientate the switch such as this, numbers denote terminals:
   UP
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
DOWN
Connect as follows :
1,2,3 connect together,
4 A light,
5 Power,
6 B light,
7 Flasher A output,
8 Flasher power input,
9 Flasher B output.
When switch is off 4, 5, and 6 are not connected.
When switch is up, 4 & 7, 5 & 8, and 6 & 9 are connected, powering the flasher and connecting the outputs to the lights.
When the switch is down 1 & 4, 2 & 5, and 3 & 6 are connecting, applying power to both lights, bypassing the flasher.
Since the switch applies power to the flasher, this can be battery or ignition power. Battery power would allow operation with the vehicle not running.
Mark
beachbum561fla 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2015 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beachbum561fla
does it have to be a DT switch though? or can i use a 3PST?
thank you for your wiring diagram...ive never used double throw switch before but looks simple...just wondering if a single throw would work
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2015 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
Without knowing how the outputs are switched on and off in the flasher, I'd stick with the double throw center off switch. One could connect the outputs of the flasher to power with a switch, one pole for each output, but I can't say how the flasher would react.
beachbum561fla 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2015 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beachbum561fla
You said connect 1 2 3 together. Then what? What are they connected to?
beachbum561fla 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2015 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beachbum561fla
Ween wrote:
Without knowing how the outputs are switched on and off in the flasher, I'd stick with the double throw center off switch. One could connect the outputs of the flasher to power with a switch, one pole for each output, but I can't say how the flasher would react.
Ween I sent you a PM with a mock diagram. Please check it out and let me know what to do. I would like to try this this weekend, I just gotta find a switch locally.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2015 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
1,2, and 3 connect together. Channel A output goes to 7, Channel B output goes to 9.
When the switch is in the down position, power flows in 5 to 2. Since 2 is also connected to 1 and 3, power will flow from 1 to 4 (Left LED) and 3 to 6 (Right LED). Power input (8) is disconnected from the flasher, as are outputs (7 & 9).
When the switch is in the up position, power flows in 5 to 8, powering flasher. Output A on 7 to 4, Left LED. Output B on 9 to 6, Right LED.
1,2, & 3 are disconnected.
beachbum561fla 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2015 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beachbum561fla
Ween wrote:
1,2, and 3 connect together. Channel A output goes to 7, Channel B output goes to 9.
When the switch is in the down position, power flows in 5 to 2. Since 2 is also connected to 1 and 3, power will flow from 1 to 4 (Left LED) and 3 to 6 (Right LED). Power input (8) is disconnected from the flasher, as are outputs (7 & 9).
When the switch is in the up position, power flows in 5 to 8, powering flasher. Output A on 7 to 4, Left LED. Output B on 9 to 6, Right LED.
1,2, & 3 are disconnected.
did you get my private message? i sent a diagram. wanted to make sure i'm hooking it up right. had to order the switches. no place locally carries them

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic