the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5706v Install 2002 Toyota Tacoma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
qsocha08 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote qsocha08
I've been installing a new Viper 5706v system in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4V6 4dr Automatic and it has been going well so far (first install). I've been referencing the following forums:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-install-a-viper-5704-alarm-remote-start.252032/
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=135142
They have both been very helpful and I've nearly completed connecting all the wires as specified in the second link. (I realize it is for an older year model, but so far everything is matching up/testing the same). The first link is for 2005+ models which raises my questions.
Questions:
1. Do I need to wire up and install the Flex Relay as specified in the first link? If so, where in the trucks harness do I connect the 12V constant feeding 86 & 87, and the Starter 2 Wire feeding 30? What is this relay specifically used for in vehicles that require it? Viper 5706v Install 2002 Toyota Tacoma - Last Post -- posted image.
2. The discussion in the second link fails to mention what needs to be done with H2/18 which will ultimately be answered by my first question. Could someone clear this up for me?
I've searched the forums for more details about the relay and haven't been able to find anything very specific. Thanks to everyone in advance for any feedback!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Where to start?  Ok, some good news, first.

Your 2002 Tacoma does not have a Starter 2 ignition wire.  According to a couple of wiring reference guides I just

checked, it only has one Starter, two Ignition's and one Accessory wire(s).  The Viper can handle those directly,
without an additional external relay.  Just for the record, the Vipers Pink/White IGN2 output is typically called the
Flex relay because it is programmable.  In your application, the factory default setting is IGN2 and correct for your
truck.  So, no need for an external 30/40 Amp SPDT relay.

Which leads us to the next very important point.  Directed made some changes in the harnesses of the 5706.

Specifically, the H2/18 wire you mention is not the (-) 200mA Starter Output mentioned / used in Riverdogs' post.
He used a 5704.  On your 5706, H2/18 is the VIOLET (+) DOOR INPUT wire ( which you won't need / use ).  So,
you want to be very careful and use the included 5706 Quick Install guide included with your Viper system.  Typically,
while the wires harness pin location might change, the wire color, name and function will remain the same.

Here is a link to a few sites for wiring info : 

Bulldog Security :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
ReadyRemote : http://www.readyremote.com/main.asp

I actually see many differences between the 2002 and the 2005 Tacoma in wires and wire colors.  Ignition wires,

door triggers, (+) Parking Lights, etc.  Careful testing with a Digital Multi Meter is required to prevent damage to your
truck and the Viper system.

You might want to post your Viper connections for forum members to review and add advice.  There are many helpful
and very knowledgeable people on the 12Volt to assist.

Soldering is fun!
qsocha08 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote qsocha08
Thanks for the good info. It's good to know that I don't need the relay so I can stop scratching my head on that one! I tried making most of my connections as per the DirectWIre Vehicle Info Sheet emailed to me when I purchased the system. Here are the wire connections I have:
Viper Wire #/Color---Description----Tacoma Wire Color
H1/1 Red -----12V Constant-------White
H1/2 Black-----Chassis Ground----Ground
H1/3 Brown----Siren Output-----Positive Wire leading to siren
H1/4 WHITE/ Brown ------Parking Light Isolation wire ---- N/A?
H1/5 White----Parking Light Output(-)----PURPLE / Red in 22pin Plug, Pin 9
H1/6 Orange---(-500mA) GWA Output------N/A?
Door Lock
1 Blue----(-500mA) Unlock Output---RED / Yellow White 12pin plug, Pin 8
2 Not Connected
3 Green---(-500mA)Lock Output--BLACK/ Blue White 12pin plug, Pin 3
H2/1 Pink/White---Ign 2/Flex output----N/A?
H2/2 Blue/White---2nd Status/Rear Defog Output----N/A
H2/3 RED / White----Trunk Release Output------------N/A
H2/4 BLACK / YELLOW-----Dome Light Output-----------N/A?
H2/5 Dark Blue-----Status Output------------------N/A?
H2/6 WHITE/ Black---------AUX 3 output-------------N/A
H2/7 WHITE/ Violet--------AUX 1 Output-------------N/A
H2/8 ORANGE / Black--------AUX 4 Output-------------N/A
H2/9 Gray-------------Hood Pin Input--------------Hood pin
H2/10 Blue-----------Trunk Pin--------------------N/A
H2/11 WHITE/ Blue--------Activation Input----------N/A?
H2/12 Violet/White--------Tach Input--------------Wire @ OBDII plug?
H2/13 BLACK/ White-----Neutral Safety/Prking Brake Input----Parking Brake Switch
H2/14 GREEN/ Black----Farctory Alarm Disarm Output---Blue/Black Wht 12pin plug Pin 12
H2/15 Green-----------(-)Door Input--------------Split to 3 wires Via Diodes?
H2/16 BROWN / Black------Horn Honk Output----------N/A?
H2/17 Pink------------Ignition 1 output----------N/A?
H2/18 Violet----------(+) Door Input-------------Use instead of H2/15?
H2/19 Violet/Black---- AUX 2 output--------------N/A
H2/20 Brown-----------Brake Shutdown Input--------GREEN / WHITE @ brake switch
H2/21 Violet / YELLOW----Starter Output------------Relay?
H2/22 Gray/Black-------Diesel WTS----------------N/A
H2/23 Orange------------Acc. Output--------------N/A
H2/24 GREEN / WHITE--------Factory Alarm Arm Out---Gray 12pin Plug Pin 9
H3 Connections at Ignition Switch
H3/1------------Not Connected--------------------
H3/2 RED / Black---------Fused 12V Acc/Starter Input---White
H3/3 pink/Black--------Flex Relay Input---------------N/A
H3/4 Pink/White---------Ignition 2-------------------BLACK / YELLOW
H3/5 Red----------------Fused Ign 1 Input------------WHITE/ Red
H3/6 Green------------Starter Input------------------Black (Split) Key Side
H3/7 Violet----------Starter Output-----------------Black(Split) Car side
H3/8 Orange----------Acc output-----------------------Blue/Red
H3/9 RED / White-------Fused 12V Ign. 2-----------------White
H3/10 Pink-------------Ignition 1 Input--------------BLACK/ Red
Sorry there are so many question marks. My truck does have a factory alarm system.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

H1/4 WHITE/ Brown ------Parking Light Isolation wire ---- N/A?      Correct

H1/5 White----Parking Light Output(-)----PURPLE / Red in 22pin Plug, Pin 9     Set Viper /Parking Light jumper/fuse to (-)

H2/1 Pink/White---Ign 2/Flex output----N/A?     Not Used

H2/2 Blue/White---2nd Status/Rear Defog Output----N/A          Not Used
H2/3 RED / White----Trunk Release Output------------N/A Not Used
H2/4 BLACK / YELLOW-----Dome Light Output-----------N/A? Not Used
H2/5 Dark Blue-----Status Output------------------N/A?       Keysense      lt. GREEN/ red  -  key switch, white 4 pin plug, pin 2 or blue 2 pin plug, pin 2
H2/6 WHITE/ Black---------AUX 3 output-------------N/A      Not Used
H2/7 WHITE/ Violet--------AUX 1 Output-------------N/A      Not Used
H2/8 ORANGE / Black--------AUX 4 Output-------------N/A   Not Used
H2/9 Gray-------------Hood Pin Input-------------- to kit supplied Hood pin
H2/10 Blue-----------Trunk Pin--------------------N/A           Not Used
H2/11 WHITE/ Blue--------Activation Input----------N/A?    Not Used
H2/12 Violet/White--------Tach Input--------------Wire @ OBDII plug?    maybe not - see note below
H2/13 BLACK/ White-----Neutral Safety/Prking Brake Input----     Parking Brake Switch   * manual transmission only
H2/14 GREEN/ Black----Farctory Alarm Disarm Output--- Blue/Black Wht 12pin plug Pin 12   Set for double pulse
H2/15 Green-----------(-)Door Input--------------Split to 3 wires Via Diodes?          Correct.   See note below
H2/16 BROWN / Black------Horn Honk Output----------N/A? not needed - siren
H2/17 Pink------------Ignition 1 output----------N/A?           Not Used       
H2/18 Violet----------(+) Door Input-------------Use instead of H2/15?      Not Used  your truck has (-) triggers
H2/19 Violet/Black---- AUX 2 output--------------N/A         Not Used
H2/20 Brown-----------Brake Shutdown Input--------GREEN / WHITE @ brake switch     Correct
H2/21 Violet / YELLOW----Starter Output------------Relay?    Not Used
H2/22 Gray/Black-------Diesel WTS----------------N/A        Not Used
H2/23 Orange------------Acc. Output--------------N/A           Not Used
H2/24 GREEN / WHITE--------Factory Alarm Arm Out---Gray 12pin Plug Pin 9

On 4 cylinder models with tachometer in the dash, it is also lt. GREEN/ black at the data link connector, black 16 pin plug, pin 9.
Otherwise, go to a F.I.

Door trigger wires :  THE DRIVER DOOR TRIGGER IS GREEN(-), THE FRONT PASSENGER DOOR TRIGGER

IS GREEN / WHITE(-) AND THE REAR DOOR TRIGGER IS YELLOW /GREEN(-) all found in 22-PIN PLUG, FRONT of
FUSE BOX  . WHEN  CONNECTING TO AN ALARM SYSTEM, USE ALL (3) DOOR TRIGGER WIRES AND  DIODE
ISOLATE.

Here is a note from Ready Remote about the door lock and unlock wires:

This wire is only needed if the door locks do not function with the aftermarket system while the vehicle is running. All other

times just use the factory alarm arm wire.

Test to see if the alarm is disarmed and the doors lock and unlock while the engine is remote started.

There will be several Viper programming options that need to be changed.

Soldering is fun!
qsocha08 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote qsocha08
That was extremely helpful! You answered a lot of the small questions/uncertainties I had. I'm assuming all the other unmentioned wires are correct. Thanks for all the information. I'm still waiting on the diodes for the door inputs to arrive in the mail since none were available locally. In the mean time I will finish making all other wire connections. If anything else comes up I will be sure to report back!
kreg357 
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Not listed wires look OK.  Typically the  H2/13 BLACK/ White-----Neutral Safety/Parking Brake Input goes to chassis ground on Auto Trans vehicles and the Parking Brake on Manual Trans vehicles.  Just verify that the truck can't be started while not in Park ( or Neutral ).  You could connect it to the Parking Brake but then the Parking Brake would have to be ON to remote start the engine.  A lot of us flat-landers rarely set the parking brake.

Keep us posted.   Viper 5706v Install 2002 Toyota Tacoma - Last Post -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
qsocha08 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2015 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote qsocha08
All wires are hooked up as described earlier, Viper reprogrammed to Automatic transmission mode, and everything works!
Special thanks to Kreg357!
I've created a word document with a table listing all the connections I made for each wire in each harness and specified wires that are not used. I will see about having it posted, but if it isn't here send me a PM and I will be glad to send it to anyone looking to install this system in their 01-04 Tacoma!
I picked up a set of Wire Terminal tools from Matco a while back and it was extremely helpful with this project. It allowed me to remove individual wires from their plastic connectors so that I could slide a length of heat shrink tubing over the solder joint instead of having to wrap with electrical tape. It made for a very clean looking install and gives me much more peace of mind. I highly recommend picking up the set or something similar. I couldn't find a part number for the set but the individual Matco part #s are FTT780, WT565, and 14900. They say they are for particular applications, but they can be used on a wide variety of connectors outside of what is specified.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic