the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 dodge ram 1500 avital 4103 install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wegz15 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2015 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wegz15
So I got everything hooked up. Two issues.
First, the doors do not lock or unlock. I soldered the 4103 blue (unlock) to a 330 ohm resistor and green (lock) to an 820 ohm resistor then soldered both to the WHITE/ green wire in the driver kick panel. The connections work when I ground them to a factory ground, however when I hit lock/unlock on the remote the lights flash but they do not open.
The second issue is the lights. I soldered the h1/9 white wire to a 330 ohm resistor then to the (-) purple / YELLOW behind the light switch. Again, when I ground this connection to factory ground only the parking lights come on, when hooked up to the remote start they parking lights and headlights come on.
I believe I have the jumper in the right position. I removed the jumper and tried it and no lights at all come on.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

It's possible that the issues are from going directly from the Avital and not using relays for those connections.  The

Vipers lock outputs are low current and I believe the (-) Parking Light output is low current ( it is 10 Amps with the
jumper in the (+) position ).

If you have relays on-hand, use the top diagram in this Bulldog Security link :

http://diagrams.marktoonen.nl/DOWNLOADS/26500_RAM-FULL-SIZE-PICKUP-_DODGE%20RAM%201%20WIRE%20JBS%20UNITS.pdf
If no relays on-hand, buy a Directed 451M Door Lock Module ( >$10 ) and use that.  It directly connects to the 4103's
locks port and includes resistors.

For the Parking Lights, try using a relay and this diagram from Bulldog Security :

http://diagrams.marktoonen.nl/DOWNLOADS/17044_RAM-FULL-SIZE-PICKUP-_CHRYSLER%20PARKING%20LIGHT%20DIAGRAM.pdf
I'd use the diagram on the right and set the 4103 to (+) Parking Light output via the jumper.

There might be other things to try like a better ground connection for the 4103 or including diodes in the lock output

wires, but relays always work for me.

Soldering is fun!
wegz15 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wegz15
So there's a video on YouTube and he recommends using a 270 ohm resistor fit the unlock because the lock function works. He had the same problem.
Also, bulldog contradicts themselves. In the diagram they say use a 330 ohm for the lights, but then when showering tbd pictures they say use a 250 ohm resistor. Could this be why the headlights come on? However, I can hear the parking light relay click when using the avital remote to lock, but the factory remote doesn't.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2015 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

The 4103 Parking Light relay clicks only when in the (+) output mode.  With the jumper in the (-) output setting, no Parking Light relay click should be heard.

The fact that everything works OK when you apply a solid chassis ground path to the appropriate wire with the suggested resistor does tell you something.  That being said, I have had a few where the suggested resistor value didn't work properly and provide the desired results.  You could use a 0 to 1,000 ohm multi-turn potentiometer and use that to "dial-in" the best resistance value.  Then use a resistor with that value for the install.

Above issue with Parking Light MUX in a Dodge truck mentioned in this Pictorial :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=130085

Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic